Just Visiting

I'm sorry the chapters are so long. It's just that Ao3 has a different layout where the text is much wider so the chapters aren't actually a lot of scrolling. I've noticed on here that a lot of the stories have chapters or "parts" that are less than 1,000 words but on Ao3 it's common to have chapters that are like 8,000. So it's a lot of reading but I like my writing to be very detailed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The living room is dark. The only light is coming from a crack between the semi-shut curtains and the television. The screen goes fuzzy occasionally because of the storm. A large boom of thunder growls outside. The house rattles in its foundation. Louis emits a yelp and his paci flies from his mouth onto the ground. He clings to Liam's sleeping form for a minute, listening to each heartbeat. The thuds of the beating muscle slowly calm him down as his mind learns the patterns of his Daddy's body.

Louis finds himself calm enough now that he relaxes and lets go of Liam's sweater. He wipes his face with the sleeve of his own and builds up the confidence to retrieve his comfort object. He throws the blanket back a little and leans his body over the couch. He spots the dummy laying on part of the blanket just inches away. He grabs hold of the dummy and feels a sense of accomplishment.
As he raises his body from the ground, another monstrous boom of thunder sounds. The power goes out and the room is dark. He stays still for a second before raising again. A streak of lightning illuminates the room and he spots the figure of a woman standing in the doorway watching him.

Louis screams. Liam gasps, waking up and sees what Louis saw. He holds the boy close to him. The woman flinches and the electricity returns. She flicks the light switch up.

"Mum," Liam says in surprise.

"Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to scare him! The power was out!"

Louis is crying heavily into Liam's neck. He looks up to see the woman Liam called "mum". Her name is Maria. She looks like him. Same puppy dog eyes and stubby nose. But she's much shorter and has blond hair.

"Daddy," Louis whimpers.

"Mum, what are you doing here," Liam asks, shock and confusion mudding his mind.

"I told you I was coming on Monday," she says, looking over at her son and the crying man on top of him.

"Shit," he mutters. "Yeah, you're right. I forgot. Is dad with you?"

"No, dear. He has an important meeting today. But he sends his love."

Liam nods and allows himself a minute to calm down.

"Li," she says softly, calling him by his childhood nickname. "Who's this?"

Liam looks down at the elephant in the room. He's been rubbing his hands up and down Louis' back instinctively the entire time without even realizing it. Of course she would be curious about why there is a boy she's never met laying on her married son, except for Harry of course. The husbands had forgot to tell them they had 'received' Louis. They knew there was a possibility they'd be taking in another boy.

"Mum, this is Louis, our new little guy," Liam says. He struggles, but managed to sit himself up even with Louis holding him down. He shifts the boy so he is sitting on Liam's laps. "Lou, this is my mum."

Louis looks at her for a few seconds before hiding in Liam's neck again. Liam sighs. "Sorry, he's a bit sick. The flu I think."

Maria walks towards them and squats down beside the couch, running a hand through Louis' hair. "Aw, hello there," she says in a cheery, warm voice, much like her son's. "You can call me Grammy if you like."