Tater Tots

Hi! Thanks again for all the reads and comments. Do you guys think you could get this story to 2000 votes? That would be amazing!

"Why can't I come with," Niall pouts, staring out his window as the car slowly drives down the street.

"Because, buddy, a hospital isn't a very good place to be for a little boy," Nick says.

"But I'll be good! Super good," the blond pleads.

"I know you would be, but we already have your Uncle Li and Z waiting for you. Besides, wouldn't you rather play with Louis and Harry than wait around in a boring, old waiting room," Nick asks.

"I guess," Niall sighs.

Nick turns the radio onto Radio 1 and lets Ellie Goulding softly play in the background. His original plans for the day were to get some much needed housework done, but after he received a call from his sister about his dad being in the hospital he knew he had to be there with his family. As far as Niall knows, Nick is just going to visit a friend who broke their leg. His family doesn't know about Niall and he's not ready to tell them yet.

When they are arrive at the Malik household, Nick allows Niall a few moments to sit in his car seat and let everything sink in before opening the door and getting him out. He doesn't like how upset his little boy is, but there is no other way around it.

He holds Niall's hand and leads him up to the front steps. Nick raises a finger to ring the doorbell.

"No," Niall cuts in. "I wanna ring it!"

Nick chuckles. "Sorry, baby. Go ahead."

Niall grins and presses the button two times.

Half a minute later, they hear the lock click. Zayn opens the door a few feet and smiles at the two while holding Harry on his hip. He moves to the side and ushers Nick and Niall in.

"Morning," Zayn greets.

"Hiya, Uncle Z," Niall says.

Zayn bends down slightly and presses a kiss to the blond's forehead. Harry whines and buries his face further into Zayn's neck, upset with the movement.

"Hi, Ni. Louis' in the living room playing with Legos. Why don't you go play with him."

Niall presses his lips together and looks at both of the men. "But what about Harry?"

"Harry's not feeling well right now," Zayn tells him.

"Is he sick," Nick asks, concern flashing across his face.

Zayn shakes his head. "He's fine, just feeling a little...well little," Zayn tells his fellow caretaker.

"Ni, go play with Louis. I'll be right in with you," Nick says, patting the boy's back.

Niall turns and gives him wide, puppy eyes. "You'll say goodbye, won't you?"

"Of course I will. I just need to talk to Uncle Z really quick."

"Okay," Niall says hesitantly. He gives his Baba one last glance before turning and walking away.

"How are you doing, ducky," Nick asks, smoothing the hairs at the back of Harry's head.

Harry whines and noses Zayn's collar.

"Not very talkative, huh?"

"Baby, don't you want to say hello to Nicky," Zayn asks, bouncing the boy.

Harry rolls his head to the side, resting his cheek on Zayn's shoulder. He pulls the thumb that had been resting in his mouth away and waves at his babysitter.