Chapter#17

Hira's POV:

"Hira, are you really alright?" Hassan asked me for the seventh time.

"Yes." And I answered him for the seventh time, looking nostalgically at my old house where I used to live with my parents. My childhood memories start flashing back in my head, especially the one when we were about to move from this house. Baba rented this house after Ami's death and now our house has become the home of others.

"Hira..." Hassan called out for me in a defeated way.

"Sorry. I am fine now. Could you drop me back home?" I said from the back seat of his car.

"Sure." He said and starts the car.

A heavy silence covers the atmosphere of the car, which was later broken by Hassan's voice.

"You should probably inform Zulqarnain." Hassan said and throws his phone into the back seat. I texted Zulqarnain from Hassan's phone that I am going with Hassan and he will drop me home. I know it wasn't the right thing to do, yet I couldn't show my weak form to him too. My tears were not stopping and I don't want anyone to see my crying face or hear my sombre voice.

I am not used to crying in front of anyone except Saba because whenever I cried as a kid, my mother had always said to me that my tears hurt her. But my classmates said that I look so ugly that she couldn't stand watching me crying. Since then, I wouldn't cry in front of anyone. I got perceived as a cold-hearted, emotionless person and I've possibly become one too. Then why, why do I get all teary in remembering Baba and Ami?

Not long after sending the text, I got startled by the sudden vibration and ringing of Hassan's phone.

"Hello, Assalam o Alaikum." I answered, regaining my composure, but only received a silent response.

"Hello?" I said again when I couldn't hear from the other side.

"Where are you now?" Zulqarnain asked in a grim voice.

"Not far from your house."

"How long will it take you to reach here? I am standing near our house gate, waiting for you."

"Um... you don't have to wait for me. Go inside."

"And tell my family that I sent her with a male friend when she was entrusted to me?" His reasoning left me speechless.

"Okay, I am coming." I said.

"I am waiting. Allah Hafiz." He replied.

"Allah Hafiz." I mumbled and end the call.

"So... shall we move?" Hassan asked, taking back his phone and I nodded.

Throughout the ride to Zulqarrnain's house, Hassan kept irritating me to eat something and I refuse each time. Right now, the only thing I want is to get into my room and cry my heart out.

"Thanks for the ride. Allah Hafiz." I said to Hassan when I was about to get off of the car.

"Don't torture yourself. Eat something. Ignoring meals won't do any good, especially when you just came back from the hospital. I will call you later." I nodded, mumbling Allah Hafiz and step out.

As soon as Zulqarnain sees me, he also got out of the car and silently opens the passenger seat door for me. After leaving him, I wasn't expecting to see him again tonight but now it really feels awkward to face him and I have no idea how to answer him if he inquires about the reason for leaving.

Keeping my gaze low, I slid inside the car without saying a word. Zulqarnain closes the door with full force, perhaps to show that he is mad. He strides towards the driver seat and does the same abuse to his car door after getting in. He sat straight, staring onto the street before him but didn't start the car.