Chapter#31

Hira's POV:

"Oh wow! I will be having pleasant dreams tonight." I jumped in surprise at hearing Zulqarnain's voice just behind me.

"Assalam o Alaikum teacher." He smiled when I glared at him.

"Aadamiyon wali herkatain kiya karen (behave like a sane person)." I said and murmured the answer to Salam.

"Did I startle you?"

"Yes!" I seethed.

"Good." He grinned.

I shook my head and looked away. I can't be angry at him since I was actually waiting for him to return home, so I could properly appreciate him taking the first step and talking to his parents. Otherwise, I would never stay up to destroy my sleep.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Heating up some milk."

"I really like that you take care of your health."

"I take care of myself because I have no one to look after me. I have no choice, hero." I said what came into my mind, but when I didn't get any response from him, the realization hit me that I might have said something unreasonable.

"Did I just say something odd?"

"No." He sighed and continued, "The main problem is you never say anything odd."

His dejected tone of voice made me feel guilty for some reason and I quickly changed the topic.

"The plan for Sunday's picnic is confirmed. I am glad that you talked to Auntie about it."

"Yes, I am happy too that everything is going smoothly. Although it wasn't easy for me to do that."

"Crushing your ego is not easy." I smirked to mock him.

"Are you saying that I am egoistic?" He gave me an annoyed look.

"Are you not?"

"If I were, you wouldn't have been my friend right now."

"Hm, you have a point here." I said, pouring milk into two cups and offering one to Zulqarnian.

"I have no place left in my stomach for this." I excused.

"I have poured this for you. Therefore, drink it if you have to make an extra place in your stomach." I put the cup on the shelf near him.

"You really are a troublesome woman."

"Indeed." I smiled proudly when he picked up the cup.

Sitting on the stools near the kitchen counter, both of us silently enjoyed the hot milk for a few minutes. But before the silence started to grow longer and awkward, I broke it.

"Putting a little effort on your loved one is worthwhile and to tell you the truth, when I heard about a picnic from Auntie's mouth, I felt really proud of you."

"Proud?"

"Yes, I was proud that my friend is a brave person. A person who isn't afraid of taking risks to move forward. To accept his faults and try to make things right. It needs a huge amount of courage, which people usually don't possess. This strength is a rare quality Zee, just like your kindness. Treasure, both of them."

"... I am being praised...wow." He said awkwardly after a moment of silence between us.

"Be happy." I teased.

"I am." He smiled.

~*~

Ahmar's POV:

"Proud?" I heard the voice of my big brother and stopped my tracks right there.