25.

"So, what happens next? What do you do?" Marianne asked, excitedly.

I let out an exasperated sigh. "I was hoping you would know. Because I am completely lost. I don't even know how I feel about Jack right now. I mean, I know I hate Jack but then there's Julian as well, whom I hate even more... or at least I think I hate him..." I groaned in frustration. "This whole fake dating thing is so stupid. I feel like an idiot for agreeing to such horrible preposition." I added.

"Wait. So, Jack is..." She trailed off.

"The cheater." I finished for her.

Marianne nodded her head. "And Julian is... hold on. Are you talking about Julian Turner? The boy who broke into that liquor store across the street?" she asked.

Wow, what a bad way to describe someone.

"I would've preferred a better description to describe that reckless prick, like the boy who almsot broke his arm after scaring the shit out of me but yeah. That's him. Why? You don't like him or something?" I asked, cautiously.

"No, it's not like that. I actually adore the boy. I've always wanted to meet him. He's kind of intriguing to me. And, I don't mean to be a horrible person or anything, but the owner totally deserved what he got. He was rude and disrespectful. He never locks the doors of that store of his, not even a hidden camera. I warned him once about the whole ordeal but he just brushed me off. It was totally unsafe." She said.

"Oh, well... I didn't know Julian had a fan but I'll let him know." I said.

I sighed once again (I should stop sighing.), thinking about Julian, the kiss and the deal. How do I tell Julian that I want out? Not because I didn't want to do the revenge plan anymore but because I think I'm starting to have... feelings for him.

The things I'm feeling when Julian is around is absolutely beautiful, it's almost terrifying. It hasn't even been five weeks and I'm already over Jack. I'm such a bitch. And to think I call Stacey a bitch all the time.

I'm such a hypocrite.

"Want to hear a story?" Marianne said out of the blue.

I looked up at her and smiled. "Why not? I have nowhere to be. What's it about?" I asked, genuinely interested.

A small smile played on her lips. "It's about a teenage girl who had the greatest chance at love but decided to let it go because she let her mind decide instead of her heart."

As cheezy as the whole plot sounded, it kind of connected to my situation so I pushed all the sarcastic comebacks at the back of my head and let her continue.

"Kind of cheesy but continue." I let one slip out.

She laughed. "I take it, you're not the type of girl who likes reading anything romance related?" She said, with a smile.

I shrugged. "Exactly."

She smiled. "Well, I'm going to put it as less cheesy as I can. So, she met the guy at a dinner party between both of their parents when they were twelve. They conversed, she laughed at his jokes and he went all of his way to make her smile until they finally gave each other their telephone numbers."

I laughed when she mentioned the telephones. I had one at home but it was barely working anymore. Nonetheless, Marianne smiled at me.

She continued, "He asked the girl out on a date. Their families were very fond of each other and, in a way, you could say their families were their number one fans. They even made a... what do you kids call it these days? A shipname."

I chuckled at that.

"Anyway, they gave the couple their blessing, the guy was incredibly happy about that but then..." The smile slipped from Marianne's lips. "The girl had second thoughts. The guy was moving to New York and he wanted her to come with him, said they could have a life together when they got there. Their families were very supportive and that should've been enough for the girl, but it wasn't...

So he left and she was left with a broken heart. Five years later he came back... But he didn't come back alone. He came back with a wife and a baby on the way..." There was a pause between the two of us. "Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if I went with him to New York, but I guess now we'll never know." She had a far away look on her face that made my heart sink to my stomach.

"What are you trying to say?" I asked, wiping a stray tear that left my eye.

She looked at me in the eye. "I'm saying that you should never think too much of the situation to the point of you wanting to back out. Because one wrong decision, Claire, and that thing or person is gone forever. And then you'll be left wondering about the what if's and the maybe's. Trust me, Claire, that is never a good feeling to live with for the rest of your life. I'm speaking from experience here." She said.

Just then, the bell by the door chimed indicating a customer. But the thing is, it wasn't.

"Claire!"

I turned to the sound of the voice but before I could see who it was, I was enveloped into a hug.