38.

It was a few days (three to be exact) before the homecoming dance and, truth be told, I wasn't planning on going. I didn't have a dress anyway, or a date for that matter, so why bother, right?

I let out a sigh as I flipped through the channels using the remote, when suddenly the front door opened and in came a booming voice.

"THE KING OF THE JAMES HOUSEHOLD HAS RETURNED! Can I get a round of applause, please?" Colton was greeted with nothing but silence.

I sighed, once again and laid down on the couch, making myself comfortable.

Colton cleared his throat and said in a high pitched voice that was suppose to be me, "Oh, big brother! It's so good to see you! Sorry I didn't say hi. I am too busy preparing for homecoming," At this, I groaned and covered my face with a pillow. "next week. How was New York?" He finished and in his normal voice he said, "Well, New York was amazing, Claire. Thank you for asking. And you're forgiven, by the way." He the plopped himself beside me on the couch.

I stopped on HBO. They were currently playing an old movie entitled Clueless. I looked away from the TV and looked at my brother.

"Hi." I finally said but in a small and soft voice.

He smiled, his blue eyes (so different from mine) shining. "Hi."

I gave him a small smile before looking back at the TV.

After a moment, Colton said, "What's wrong, Claire?"

I bit my and shook my head. "Nothing.  I don't really want to talk about it." I said, not looking at him.

He nodded. "Okay. So, are you ready for homecoming?"

Of all things, he had to ask that?!

I groaned and, once again, face planted my face on a pillow.

"Ohh. That bad, huh? What, you don't have a dress yet?" I groaned. "A date?" I whimpered. "You don't have a dress because you don't have a date?" I groaned in frustration. "Hmm... I can guess this... Is it-"

I sat up. "I'm not going, okay? Not because I have no dress, or a date, but because I have no reason to be there, so what's the point?" I said.

"Uh, to create an amazing high school experience, duh. You're only seventeen once, you know." Colton said, giving me the 'duh' look.

I looked at him and sighed. "Of course you wouldn't understand, Mr. I-was-popular-back-in-high-school." I said.

He smirked. "Not my fault people in your school loved me so much." He said, cockily and went into the kitchen. "On a more serious note, I really think you should go. Not for your date or your friends, but for you." He called out. I let that sink in.

Ugh. I hate it when he's right.