31.

present day

"Hey, Claire!"

"Huh? What?" I asked, distractedly as I snapped out of my trance.

Damien gave me a smile before saying, "I have to go. I have a flight to catch. I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Right. Oh, God. I'm so sorry I spaced out. You and my brother take care in New York, okay?" I said. "And say hi to him for me." I added.

He kissed my cheek and said, "You got it. See you soon."

Giving me a brotherly hug, he left closing the door behind him. I entered the living room only to see Julian browsing through the TV channels with the remote. I glared at the back of his head and went to the kitchen to get the frozen yogurt Julian brought before that awful dinner.

There were two cups. One was strawberry with marshmallows and sprinkles and the other was plain yogurt with crushed Oreo's and M&M's. I took both cups and took two spoons before going to the living room to sit beside Julian.

I gave him the plain yogurt while I ate the strawberry. Julian decided to watch Cartoon Network; Ben Ten: Alien Force to be exact. My favorite.

"Oh, yay. I love this show." I said, excitedly, feeding myself a spoonful of strawberry yogurt.

Julian was silent for a moment before he decided to face me, a grim expression on his face. "I thought you were babysitting." He asked.

I glanced at him before focusing my attention back to the TV. "Yeah. I was. But then Damien showed up, unexpectedly. I didn't want to sound rude so I offered him dinner. Then you came and... now we're here." I said.

"You sure it wasn't because you didn't want to go to that party with me?" He muttered.

I turned to look at him, confused. "What? No. Of course not. Why would you think that?"

He shrugged. "Nothing. It's just a thought." He said, brushing it off and looking away.

His tone didn't match his words so I decided to pry. "Please. Share this thought that seems to really put you in a bad mood." I urged.

Julian sighed before licking his lower lip (which by the way made my insides curl). "I just don't think you should hang out with an older guy." He said.

"What is that suppose to mean?" I do not like where this was going. "He's not just any 'older guy', he's also a really good friend of mine." I said.

Julian snorted. "Because it always starts as friends, doesn't it?" He muttered.

He was starting to piss me off now.

"What is your problem, Julian? If you have a problem, why don't you just spit it out?" I demanded.

Julian looked as annoyed as I was. "It's just weird seeing a guy, an older guy nonetheless, in your house after I asked you to go to this party with me." He said.

"What, are you jealous or something?" I asked.

"Of course not." He snapped.

"Then why are you acting like this?"

"Acting like what, exactly?"

I paused. "Like... like a jealous boyfriend."

He sighed, exasperated and stood up, his jaw clenching. "I'm not jealous."

I stood up as well, but since he was a few inches taller than me, I had to crane my neck to look him in the eyes.

Damn short legs.

"Really? Sorry. Just making sure in case you spread another unwanted rumor about it." I said, sarcastically.

He turned to look at me. "That is just low, even for you, James." He said, darkly.

"So is thinking that I'd make an excuse to ditch you, Turner." I said.

He stayed silent before saying with a clenched jaw, "You're being unfair."

"And you're being unreasonable. I didn't know Damien was going to be here tonight." I explained.

Why, I will never know.

"I don't care." Julian spat.

"I don't believe you."

Julian clenched his jaw even more (which, by the way, made me secretly swoon) and exhaled through his nose, clearly angry. "Why are you so thick headed?!" He yelled. "Can't you see that I li-" He cut himself off, looked away and took a deep breath. "Forget it. I'm leaving."

Before I could make him stop, he grabbed his jacket and left, slamming the door behind him. That's when Cole came bounding down the stairs, rubbing away the sleep in his eyes.

"Claire? What's going on? I heard yelling." He said.

I stared at the space that was once occupied by Julian, slowly catching my breath. I suddenly couldn't breathe but I managed to say, "Nothing, Cole. Go back to sleep. I'm sorry I woke you up."

What was Julian going to say?