Chapter 1: Fathers Story

Douglas Army Base, N.M. Christmas Eve, 1955

"My son will you please turn of that ratcheted puppet, brush your teeth. You too, Syrena." Their father said.

39 in his age, Professer Bloom has been raising his two children, Hellboy and Syrena, all by himself. No wife. No other children. Just them.

He found Hellboy when he was at the young age of 28 on the coast of Scotland and then found Syrena when he was 32 while in New York. You see, the professor worked with the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense, or the B.P.R.D. for short. Hellboy always dreamed of the day when he would finally be working along side his father when he became old enough.

Syrena on the other hand did not.

Begin a siren, it made it easier for her to fit in with society since she did already look human. Syrena didn't want to grow up being referred to as a 'freak' in the normal world, the human world. She was the very last of her kind. Hunted down by humans and exterminated 1,000 years ago. Her dear departed mother had been the Queen of their small tribe on the south side of Bethmora. And also part of the land outside there and near the water. Making her a princess and next in line for the throne. Her mother helped her escape before being killed. An arrow gone straight through her heart. She'd been only 3 at the time.

The day the humans attacked was the same day Syrena was to get the royal family necklace from her mother that had been passed down from generations in their line. But, after the humans left Syrena returned back and only found her mother's bow and arrows that she used for war. And soon discovered that the necklace was gone from her mothers cold body. Stolen. Years later after, that Syrena started to forget about her memories of her home, but always kept the ones about her mother intact. And that was when Professor Bloom had found her down in a sewer in New York in 1947 when she was 8. At first she wasn't too trusting, scared that he was going to hurt her. But she found him to be the nicest human she has ever met. The Professor ended up bring her back with him, and she soon called him father.

Syrena's older brother Hell boy was sitting up in front of the t.v. watching some puppet show while she sat next to him with her head on his shoulder. But instead of watching t.v. too she was reading a book.

"Don't call him a puppet." Her brother said, not once taking his eyes of the screen.

Syrena looked away from her book and towards her brother with the same replica of the puppet on the television show in his arms. How he was very obsessed with that thing. However, Syrena didn't like it one bit seeing as it creeped her out. She tried to hide it from him once. But then he said that he would hide her books so she stopped and never did it again. That girl really did love her books. Syrena thought it was more educational than that silly show her brother was watching. Hell Boy would call her a nerd. Syrena thinks his head is full of hot air. But regardless they loved each, they're family. Brother and sister. Blood or not.

"Beg your pardon?" Their father asked.

"Look he's not a puppet, Howdy doody's real, he's real!" Hell boy said turning around making Syrena take her head off her brothers shoulder, sit up and continued reading her book.

"Well Mr Dee Dee Doo Doo will have to say goodnight. That goes for you too Syrena, no more reading." Their father turned off the t.v., then taking Syrenas book out of her hands closing it and putting it to the side. That earned him a groan and some whines from the both of them.

"And remember you two have to be asleep when he comes down the chimney." He adds pointing to the small metal fire place.

"It's not even a chimney, pop." Hell boy said and Syrena nods her head agreeing with him.