Chapter 4: Broken Glass

Everything was in slow motion as Syrena fell down. Glass from the shattered window falling down as well, cutting her skin as rain drops pelted her body in the long fall. Then suddenly, everything went fast and she went crashing onto a trash bin with a loud bang before hitting the wet floor of the alley. Pain was all that was felt through her body as she just laid there. Fighting the burning feeling throughout her body the siren pushed herself to stand. Her dress was torn in many places and her hair had pieces of glass in it as it hung down her back and stuck to her pale skin. After taking a few deep breaths she looked at down her body.

She was completely soaked. Red cuts were all over her skin and there was a big shard of glass in her leg. Wrapping her hands around it she pulled it out with a small yelp, throwing it to the side and it shattered into many more pieces as it made contact with the brick wall. Blood started seeping from the cut. Taking in her surroundings she looked up to the sky. It was a pretty long fall. The screams from inside the building rung in her ears.

Syrena wonder what happened to that troll. He was rather nice to her considering he scared the living crap out of everyone else. And he apparently knew who she was. She found herself hoping he was alright and had made it out. There was also a possibility—not a highly, but still one—that someone else might have been able to escape and could have called the police for help. It would be nice not to be around when that happened. Taking a step forward she went to move, but ended up laying flat on her face.

Syrena pushed her arms up and got and stood on wobbly knees. She had lost a lot of blood from the shard and felt incredibly weak. Like all of the energy she had was drained. It would take a few hours for her to heal fully. Everything around her started to make her feel dizzy. Suddenly there was a large hand on her shoulder. It was cold, big and heavy. She turned her head and saw a shadowy figure behind her. The hand jumped off her shoulder and walked back into the shadows.

"You." Syrena said. The troll from earlier stepped out so she could she him fully. Little huffs leaving his mouth.

"Are you following me?"

He didnt say a word.

"You're hurt." A familiar voice spoke behind her

Turning her head she saw the that elf, Prince Nuada walking towards her.

"I'm fine." She waved him off though her body ached in pain.

"Of course you are." The tone he used show just how much he didn't believe her. The siren huffed.

"What do you want from me?" Syrena casted her eyes down watching as the rain washed away the blood on her legs. A hand was on her shoulder once again, but this one was small and warm.

"Nothing. I am only curious. You came here tonight to take back what was yours. And you did. Letting those humans see you....but not truly. Why come out of hiding when you could have all those years ago?"

"I don't have to answer to anything that you ask."

"Fine, Princess."

Syrena shrugged him off trying to walk forward again only to fall, but this time the prince was there to catch her.

"Let me help you." His voice was nothing but a whisper over the pouring rain. She looked up at him with narrowed eyes that flashed yellow.

"I do not ask your help!"

"But you need it."

Syrena looked down again. She didn't want to admit that he was right. The young siren felt faint and couldn't stand on her own. A gasp came from her lips as he wordlessly put his arm under her legs and swooped her up into his strong arms before walking ahead.

"Hey!"

"Yes?" There was a small quirk of his lips.

"What are you doing? I said I don't need your help!"

"You are injured and can barley walk. I will not let you pass out here in the cold."

"And why do you care?"

"I care for all creatures like you, and like me. All magical creatures that have to hide when we use to rule this world, not the humans." The prince spoke with such venom in his words when it came to humans.

Knowing that fighting him would just waste the energy she had left the siren wrapped her arms around his neck as Nuada continued to carry her. With Wink trailing behind them.

"Why did you want that crown piece?" Now she was the one who was curious.

"You mean to tell me you know nothing of my family's history with the crown piece?"

"No."

"I doubt that. You were always such a very intelligent creature, Syrena."

"How do you know my name?" Her eyes widened.

"We've met before. It was years ago, you must recall?"

"I'm sorry. I've never met you in my life. Which is very long by the way."

"You'll remember in time."

Syrena looked behind them to the big troll that was walking slowly behind them.

"What's his name?"

"Mr. Wink."

"He told me to leave when those things came out of the box. I wanted to thank him. He saved me from whatever those things were. I consider him as an ally."

"He would be glad to know that. After all Mr. Wink has quite a soft spot for Sirens."

"Really?" Syrena an raised eyebrow. Nuada looked down at her with a smile.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"One saved him from being killed by a human."

"Who?"

"You ask a lot of questions, princess."

"I know I do. Now tell me, who saved him?"

"I could tell you. Or you can find out for yourself."

Syrena just sighed laying her head against his shoulder. Her eyes started to flutter and she shift her head to get comfortable. Never in her life has she felt so drained.

"What are you doing?" Nuada asked.

"I'm tired. I'm going to take a nap."He didn't say another word as she finally closed her eyes and went off in to a deep sleep.

                                                ¸.•*¨*'•.¸.•*¨*'•.