Chapter 8: The fairies' council

Alex's POV

I leave her room and move towards mine, where I shift back and sigh: once again I haven't told her the truth.

Under the shower I think about my whole life. I was born in July and since then I've been chosen to become the next Alpha of one of the most powerful pack in the werewolves' world. Before I was born, there had been a war between my parents and Amber's ones because of the power both of them wanted to gain. Indeed, my family, the Redmoons, and Amber's one, the Moonshade, once were part of one big Royal family, the Redshades. They lead Northern America and Canadian werewolves and no one had ever tried to fight them except for one of my ancestors, Igor Redstar. He was Princess Arya Redshade's mate, but her father, King Lupin, didn't want to accept him because of his dark past. The two lovers escaped with the King's crown and built a castle not so far from the Redshade's one. They founded a new Royal family and named it after his surname, Redstar, but his family, afraid of what the King's reaction could have been, refused him the permission to use his surname and deprived him of his family name. So, the couple had to find another name and after a few months they chose the surname I have now, Redmoon. Arya's brother, Ayne, became King after his father Lupin and decided to bring peace between the two families splitting up the ancient kingdom in two smaller kingdoms: the Redmoons ruled Canada, while the Moonshades, that's how he called his family members after the splitting, ruled North America. They kept peace until my parents and Amber's parents started to think they deserved more power, they deserved the power their ancestors' had gained years before. A fatal war began between the two Royal families before me and Amber were born, both of the armies loosing famous and important warriors, until Amber's father, King Lionel, and my father, King Richard, restored peace for the safety of their wives, both pregnant. When my brother was born, the war was already over. Two years later my mum gave me birth, and since that hot day of July I've been seen like the future Alpha and the future King. I remember the day of December when I was three years old and my mother came crying in my room, shouting they had a heir and hugging me tighter and tighter to her chest. I remember the sensation I felt about that 'heir', how much I had hated it only because it had sent my mother into tears. I couldn't have imagined that monster would have been such a beautiful young lady, destined by the faith to be my mate, to become the only one I could ever eternally love and who could ever love me like I needed to be loved. I had spent my whole life hating the only one I could ever love, training for a life that was destined to me before I could even breathe and fighting a battle I could never win. Should I give up, should I just switch off the light and change life, leave the throne to my sister's mate like my brother had done and go away? Yes, I can't say I haven't dreamt about escaping from responsibilities and live my life like a normal werewolf. But now it was different: now I had Amber, and even if she hated me, even if she didn't want to accept me, I would love her with every single fiber of my being. I have to be strong for her. I owe this to her for all the pain I had caused to her. I smile at the thought of her body on mine, even if she was human and I in wolf form. I fall asleep wondering why our families had caused us so much trouble and in the night I wake up two times from a dream about my ancestors.

Amber's POV
I wake up in my room, once again remembering Stash bringing me up there I his wolf form. Why is that guy always ready to put me inside my bed? Anyway, I should hurry up, today I've got the Fairies' Council meeting. I look at the alarm clock next to my bed: it's half past six, in half an hour I have to be in the Throne room to leave together with Stash, Eric and Mellanhar. After the council we'll sleep in the fairies' Palace and then we'll move into the heart of the mermaids' kingdom, where I'll have to attend the annual Council of Supernaturals meeting. I have a quick but relaxing shower and get dressed, wearing a pure white ankle-length dress that tightens around my waist and makes me seem like a Greek Goddess. I leave my long brown hair loose on my shoulders, enveloping my body as far as my waist. I don't like putting my make up on, but I decide to put on a bit of blush and mascara, the way my eyes seem bigger and darker. I look at the small watch I had previously put around my right wrist: it's 7 o' clock, I'm just in time not to arrive late. I rush into the Throne room, where Stash is already waiting for me. His face lightens up in a big smile at the sight of me, his sky-blue eyes shining while he lowers his gaze and admires how my smart dress fits my curvy body. I blush immediately under his hungry stare.
" You're so beautiful" he says to me while I blush and lower my gaze again, unable to stare in his spiky eyes. All of a sudden an unasked question bumps into my head:
" Why did you call the Redmoon's Beta brother?" He clenches his jaw and I can't help noticing how perfect his jawline is, elegant and masculine at the same time. He's just about to answer my question when Eric enters inside the room and I turn around to face him. He greets me muttering something about queens and curvy body and turns back to glare at Stash, growling wildly. As always, their battle of growls ends when Mellanhar rushes into the room apologising because he was late but justifying his lateness saying he had lost in the castle and muttering something about us being fucking wolves and our ability to recognise scents. I burst out laughing and start leading them out of the castle, still hearing Stash's low growls and wondering why he continues lying to me.