Chapter 21: Heat

Amber's POV

The ball has been amazing. After everyone had accepted the both of us as their leaders and examples, we had to open the dance section. Alexander had asked me to dance with him, and I had to admit he was an amazingly talented dancer. I on the other hand was by far the worst dancer in the room, but in his hands even an elephant could seem elegant. After a few turnings and tour de mains, he finally led me out of the dance floor towards our thrones that had been previously placed on the most decorated side of the room.

A procession of people started crowding in front of us and asking us almost everything: Alexander explained me that was his court, so that was the reason why we had to listen to them and advise them the best we could. I had chosen to abolish the court back at my castle because it was an institution far too expensive for my falling empire. After three years of political affairs the situation had gone better, but honestly I hadn't had enough time to restore old traditions.

One man had even the courage to ask me when I planned to give the Kingdom a strong heir. He laughed at my shocked expression and started chuckling with Alexander about our first son surely being a boy. I froze on the spot and watched as my mate explained his subjects he was most definitely marking me before the end of the year. This made my wolf howl in happiness and me shift uncomfortably as some male members of the court encouraged him saying it wouldn't be difficult to take such a beautiful woman. They were doing the right thing: they celebrated their Queen saying her she was beautiful and their King for having done such a good selection.

I am now sat on the bed, being so tired I can't even think of waiting for Alexander to be ready for bed. I cuddle under the sheets and lay my head on the soft pillow, my hand extended on Alexander's side as in the need of touching something that belonged to him. It reminds me of my little self at fourteen years old as I looked for my brother's presence taking his old pillow and crying on it every single night. I frown at the thought of how I had been worried for him and of how he had repaid me by challenging me. One thing I was sure of, he surely wasn't my brother anymore.

" Goodnight my sweet Queen." Alex whispered sweetly as he got away from the bathroom and inside our bed, allowing me to cuddle on his side, my head leaving the pillow to be laid on his hard and warm chest. I murmured a 'night and fell deeply asleep.

I was in a red room, with no doors and windows. I started walking towards the red fire that was burning in the chimney and looked inside it: even though it was fire, it showed a clear picture of the Full Moon. The picture shook a little bit and then changed, showing a woman dressed in a glimmering silver long gown. She had jet black hair and her skin was as pale as the moon's surface. Her eyes were still closed, but when she noticed I was looking at her, she smiled and opened them: they had a milky white iris and the pupil was as black as the midnight sky with white dots inside it that seemed stars.

" My Goddess..." I said like in a trance.

" Amber! My dear child, I was waiting for you to come. Do you feel this burning fire? It's the heat. I'm here to help you. You'll suffer an immense pain for five days, and the only thing that will let the pain decrease will be Alexander's touch. You're greatest wish will be to mate him. " she paused, her beautiful but dangerous face frowning all of a sudden.

" Why are you here, then? Do you think I should follow my instincts and mate him?" I asked her already feeling a burning sensation inside my core.

" You're feeling it, aren't you? The moment I'll rise in my Full form, the heat will start. Only Royals are in heat during the full moon, my dear. We don't have much time before you wake up in agony." She said thoughtfully.