Chapter 33: The storm has ended.

Amber's POV

" Alex! You're here!" I shout when I see the great silver wolf jumping on Lewis' body. But Lewis isn't there anymore. He's disappeared.

" Where is him? Where is that f*cking living rubbish..." Alexander starts complaining about my brother, about how he would kill him the moment he has him under his claws, about how he could have possibly be so stupid to believe he would leave him live. But I'm not paying attention to his words, no, I'm thinking of what Lewis said before he got missing.

If I can't have you then I'll have her. What did he want to say? Was he trying to scare me? Or was he giving me a hint? Who's his next victim? One thing I can be sure of: she's powerful. Powerful enough to make him think he could actually spare me. Powerful enough to be his second chance.

" Alexander? Where is your sister?" I ask my still grumbling mate.

" She must be arrived at home by now." Alexander's clever. Clever enough to understand the reason that has brought me to ask him that question.

" Let me check." I see his eyes changing colour, getting golden and metallic. While he's concentrated, I observe him carefully. Lewis had made a huge mistake when he tried to become him: Alexander isn't only a powerful Alpha, possessive and passional. Alexander is a true King. And a King respects the ones he loves, especially his Queen. He doesn't conquer his subjects with strength. He conquers them with faith.

" She's not there." He says abruptly. I see he's completely out of his mind, even though he doesn't want me to notice that. I imagine his brain working like a clock, trying to build a puzzle showing his sister's movements, managing to understand what must have got on her way, what must have kept her away for so long.

" Maybe she felt bad and they had to stop..." he tries saying. But his eyes say something else. Something that I know he can see written in mines. Lewis has her.

" Why...?" He whispers painfully. I know how much he loves his sister: he must be feeling terribly sorry, he must be blaming himself, thinking her kidnap is his fault. Lewis wants us to lose faith in our abilities as leaders, the way we would believe we aren't fit for that.

" She's your sister, Alex. She's young. And she's a Redmoon princess. He needs to conquer his right to the throne. He's been smarter then us, we must admit that." I am trying to keep my voice steady, even if it's extremely difficult: I want him to lean on me, to cry over my shoulder and share with me his sufferance. I have no time for my own grief, that is what I've learnt during all those years. I smile sympathetically at him, waiting for the outburst.

" Did you know it?" He asks coldly. What? Know that? Never! What is he talking about?

" What do you mean, Alexander?" My cold and angry tone shake him off and he suddenly raises his head and looks straight into my eyes, saying,

" I'm sorry I... don't... I wasn't thinking, My Love." My expression sweetens: I wasn't mad at him, I simply wanted to show him I wasn't the one to blame. A strange feeling itches through the bond. I still need to learn how to understand what these sensations I get mean, I've just been marked after all, but at least I know he's feeling something. Alexander's far better than me, he always understands my exact emotion. The itch must be worry, then. I know love is something like a bold golden feeling that makes my world appear wonderful and glorious, while anger is dark red and usually so strong that I can't even breath. Worry seems smoky. Yeah that's how I'd define it: foggy. Worry makes me... furious. Nobody, nobody can scare my mate, my alpha. No one is to touch him, to that no one will die. I have to protect him. I have to stop his pain. I-I...

" Amber. Calm down." I open my eyes and find a shocked looking Alexander staring at me as through a golden glittering mirror. Where is he? Why isn't him right next to me, or better, behind me? The bond is still foggy. Worry. Pain.