7. Question

Verity

I paced around in the room that just screamed 'Hunter'.

I knew he was in the house by now. I could hear, and smell, him before he even entered the house. His aroma smelled by irritation and a slight bit of anger as he slammed the front door closed. I whimpered as he walked upstairs, heading for his room which heavy steps. I curled up in the corner, my eyes locked at the door.

Seconds later he slammed the door open, his eyes searching around his room until they settled on me. They were emotionless as he sat down on the edge of the bed, his hands placed on his knees. I watched him carefully, seeing if it was some chance of escaping.

"I'm gonna ask you a question." He stated, looking at me. "And I expect you to answer truthfully."

"Only if you will let me out tomorrow." I quickly said as he raised his eyebrows after my sudden demand.

"Deal. But no escaping." He growled.

I swallowed angrily and nodded.

"I need your word, I don't trust you enough to just hear you say it." I said, glaring at him.

Call it whatever you want, I don't trust my mate and I was pretty sure he felt the same for me. Like, what is it to trust? I would gladly leave this place at any moment and find a way to cut the connection with his pack for good. A vampire in a pack full of dogs, not so good for my reputation.

"And what the fuck do you want me to do?" He growled.

"Vow." I shrugged.

He sighed heavily while giving me a heated glare as he placed his hand over his heart.

"I, Hunter Lycan, vow my word to you, my mate." He vowed and dropped his hand.

A small golden spot were visible on his palm, a spot that would stay there until tomorrow was over.

When you vow something over you heart, something every creature tries to avoid, it had to be done. No buts nor any complaining. A vow is a vow, especially when it's a magical vow towards other individuals. Vampires vow different than werewolves, we draw a cross over our collarbone with our nails. That cross binds us to our vow. If we break it, we die. A painful and slow death. And that's not pleasant for an immortal creature. We are immortals for a reason.

"Your turn." Hunter muttered, his eyes piercing me.

I placed my finger against my collarbone, feeling my nail grow a little bit longer and stronger so it could rip trough my tight skin.

"I, your mate, vow my word to you, Hunter Lycan." I vowed bitterly, the word 'mate' making me gag in my head as I made the cross on my collarbone, cringing a little when blood slowly flushed out.

The small cut healed, leaving a red temporary scar formed as a cross. I grimaced when I saw it. It burned my skin as it glowed in faint gold. I knew from the stories that this is one of few things that could kill us. One of many reasons we normally don't vow, giving us a reputation for not having any loyalty towards anyone except ourselves.

My first vow ever.

And definitely the last one.

Hunter nodded as he leaned forward, his elbows on his knees as his chin was placed in his hands, looking rather curious.

"Why don't you drink blood everyday?" He asked.

My body tensed.

Does he know? He sound like he does. He can't know.