36. Progress

Verity

The strong urge to vomit woke me up. I fought my way out of Hunter's restraining hold, rushed to the bathroom and dove my head into the toilet once I reached my destination. The vile taste of choler etched upon my tongue and fuelled more retching. Exhausted, I slumped down and rested my forehead against the toilet seat, silently praying to goddess to ease my pain. Sobs raked my body. My muscles ached and it hurt to move. I closed my eyes and let the tears flow down my cheeks. 

It was slightly weird to vomit now, as the tainted blood no longer was inside my veins, but I did not pay it any further thought as another wave crashed through me.

Warm hands gently stroke my hair, before they glided down to cup my bum and lift me up. I laid my face against Hunter's sturdy chest, one hands curled around his neck. Hunter hummed and carried me to the bath tube, where he laid me down gently. I curled up against the edge and stared at the porcelain. Hot water started running and soon I was drenched from my head down to my toes. I relaxed in the bath, brushing my matted hair out of my face.

"Verity." Hunter cupped my face and tilted my head so I was looking at him. "You're ill. We need to take you to Dr. Hower so he can run a check on you."

"I'm fine," I whispered, my voice fading with each syllable I uttered. "That was most likely a bad aftershock from the last of the toxin. Everything is fine."

He gazed at me with concerned eyes. "Do you need to feed? Can you feed now at all?"

"You have a glass at hand?" I cracked a smile, though I am pretty sure it came out as a grimace, as my body shuddered out of nowhere. I sank deeper into the water, hoping the warmth would soothe the ache.

"No." He smiled at me. "I got something better."

He reached up to his neck with a clawed hand and effortlessly sliced the skin along the neck vein. Rich blood oozed out of the wound. My interest was piqued; my stomach churned for food. The scent of his blood awoke the raging monster within me. 

Slowly, I reached up and snaked an arm around his shoulders, pulling myself up to press myself against him. I gazed into his eyes, searching for any sign of hesitation. He calmly stared back at me, took a firm yet soft hold of the back of my head and guided it towards the wound. I swallowed and let my fangs escape their prison before I pressed my lips against the wound. A low moan left Hunter's parted lips as I sucked his blood, releasing my venom as to not hurt him. 

Once my craving for blood was reached, I unattached my fangs from his body. Licking along the wound, my saliva healed it. I kissed it after it had sealed and nuzzled my head into his neck. 

"Thank you."

"Anything for you, my love."

I smiled and buried my head further in the crook of his neck, hiding my red cheeks from his intense gaze. My tongue darted out to taste his skin, leaving a wet trail in its way. He gave me a peck on my temple before carefully stepping into the bath tube to join me. At first, I froze, but it did not take long for my body to identify his touch and I relaxed against his chest. He made himself comfortable and wrapped his arms around me, one arm resting underneath my bum. I snuggled closer to him and sighed in content.

This was nice, I thought. Strange but nice. Is this how love feels? Is this how love between mates was shared?

It felt good to be in his arms. I felt protected from any danger lurking outside; from anyone who would dare to bring me back home. Hunter would keep me safe from anything that threatened to take me away from him, I was sure of that. He would always protect me, no matter from whom it was.

A nagging feeling in the back of my head, however, made me at unease and slightly restless. It felt like I was forgetting something; something important. I chose to ignore it and closed my eyes as I drifted to much needed sleep. 

XXX

Hunter stared down at Verity with soft eyes. His fingers skimmed over her hip underneath the water, marvelling at the cold and soft texture of her skin. His eyes drifted to her stomach for a second before he shook his head in disbelief. It could not be a possibility; they were of two different species. Although hybrids had been common in history, they were rare now and dangerous to give birth to. His eyes drifted back to her stomach and his eyebrows dipped in thought. 

But, he thought alongside with his wolf, morning sickness was a common sign among werewolves. He knew of many that had complained about the vomiting at the hospital.  

He sighed and moved his hand to hover above her stomach, lingering in the chill air, before he gently pressed it down on her skin. He felt nothing against his hand and a low growl escaped his lips; a mix between satisfaction and disappointment. Whereas he did want a pup and continue his blood line, he was uncertain whether they were ready for one. After all, they did still fight over petty things. Although, perhaps he had to wait for a longer time to know for sure; after all, there was not much known about hybrids as they seldom survived.

He caressed her side and brought her closer. A small smile etched upon his face and he watched as she cracked the tiniest yawn he had ever seen. Albiet a dangerous predator, she managed to look as innocent as a rabbit. He purred and kissed her cheek, nuzzling her hair. 

His mate was truly a sight to behold. Although she was a bloodthirsty vampire equipped with sharp fangs and dangerous nails; eyes that could see further than a werewolf; ears that could pick up the faintest of heartbeats - she was also the cutest creature he had ever laid eyes on and watching her brought forward emotions he thought he had buried years ago. 

He trailed his pointer finger down the side of her face, pulling a strand of hair that was stuck to her cheek behind her ear. Her pale skin shone once exposed to the moonlight. 

She was truly mesmerising.