13. Thirst

Verity

I faced the man, my head tilted as I scanned their appearance. He, and the rest, looked filthy and worn-out. Bags hung under his eyes, yet the eyes sparkled with a dangerous fire. A pair of dirty pants and a torn tank top clad his muscular body.

"What is someone like you doing here all by your own?" He asked, standing right below the branch I was sitting on. "Bad things come to pretty things like you when they are left unsupervised."

"Who are you?" I sniffed the air again, their stench coming crashing down and I regretted my decision. It was causing nausea to rise."None of you smell like you belong here."

He grinned, yellow teeth beaming in the dim light of the sun. "We are free wolves."

"Rogues, you mean." I nodded, understand in which direction he was going.

The little I knew about rouges was that they killed for fun and lived outside of packs. Wolves are pack animals, so those going against that were outcasts. Rogues are known to be cruel and savages, ravaging everything in their way. Killing and leaving nothing but destruction everywhere they went.

But they did not live under an Alpha's command. Though, they return to it after a while, teaming up and declaring the strongest one of them their leader. It's in their nature, after all. One cannot fights one's own nature for a long period of time, one succumbs eventually.

He smiled, his canines poking his bottom lip. "Your turn. Who are you?"

I was about to answer, but a voice cut me to it. "That's none of your business, rouge. And you're trespassing."

Ten wolves stepped out of the shadows, growling and snarling at the rouges. A man stood among them - a man all too familiar. It was Hunter's Beta Dave. He had a scowl on his face and his arms were crossed over his chest. His eyes were glued on the rogues.

"Leave. Before we kill you."

"Why should we leave?" The rogue snickered. "It's nice talking to this lovely lady."

He gestured at me, flashing me a sultry look. I shuddered, inching back a bit. He disgusted me with his gaze and that smirk playing on his chapped lips. 

"I advise you to step away from her," Dave snarled, fists clenched by his side. 

"She's your Luna, isn't she?" The rogue literally purred, smirking. "It'd be a shame if something happened to her, wouldn't it?"

A snarl left my lips as he glanced at me, eyes scanning my face. Dave growled and clenched his fists. With a low snarl, he unclenched his fists. The wolves by his side attacked the rogues. Growls and snarls filled the air as the wolves fought. 

Suddenly, a hand grasped my foot and pulled me to the ground. I gasped in surprise as I was pressed to someone's body. The scent of the rogue nestled in my nose and I nearly gagged. His hands gripped my waist, pushing me into him. He moved one of his hands, softly taking a hold of my neck. 

"Such a pretty face." He forced me to tilt my head, his face millimetres from mine. I squirmed as his breath fanned over my skin, his teeth gently touching it. "Would be such a shame if something marred it, wouldn't it?"

I could see his claws in the corner of my eye, dancing over my cheek and pressing down ever so slightly.

"Let go of her, right now!" Dave roared, his voice loud and enraged as he glowered at the rogue. 

"Why should I?" The rogue laughed, his lips brushing against my ear. "She's pretty. Could make some good pups."

Hell no!

I grabbed his wrist, prying the hand around my throat away as I turned around. The sound of my fist hitting his nose echoed in my ears. He staggered back, slamming against the tree trunk as a groan left his lips. I took a step back, but then a scent hit me. My eyes darkened, my stomach letting out a low grumble, as I turned back to the rogue. He was slouched to the ground, blood staining his shirt. I inched closer, eyes morphing to the darkest red. 

"Luna." 

Dave sounded so far away. The sound of the rogue's heart beating was all that I could focus on. Beating, pumping out blood into his system. I stepped towards him, my eyes glued on the blood oozing out from his nose. My fingers twitched, my nails growing longer and sharper. The familiar pressure of my fangs pressing against my gums made me hiss in pain. My fangs lengthened, poking my bottom lip. They ached, throbbing and yearning for release. Thirsting for a taste.

I sunk to my knees. 

"Luna, what are you doing?"

With a hiss, I latched myself to the rouge. A scream left his lips as my fangs buried in his flesh. He started to trash in my hold, growling and howling in pain. He gripped my shoulders, claws cutting the fabric of my shirt. His breath became frantic, his heart beat increasing in rhythm.

I bit deeper, feeling the switch in him. Soon, a breathless moan escaped his mouth and he relaxed. His head lulled to the side, giving me more access. I gulped down his blood, sucking him dry. It was thick and boosted my energy to maximum. The rogue slumped down, releasing a final breath against my ear. 

I gently removed my fangs from his body, standing up in the process. His body fell to the ground, empty and only a shell of its former life. I turned around, licking the remaining blood from my lips. My fangs retreated and my nails shrunk to its normal size. 

Dave and the wolves stared at me with wide eyes. I smiled at them, running a hand through my hair. "What do you want, Dave?"

He shook his head, gesturing towards me. The wolves, although hesitantly, moved to stand by my sides. They made sure to not get to close, eyes lingering on the body by the tree.

"Alpha asked me to find you and bring you back home." He motioned towards the direction the house was in and I pouted. "You've been told to stay in Alpha's residence and not to wander around, for your own safety, until his return."

"Where is he going?"

"A trip. He will only be gone for a day and a half. He leaves tomorrow," Dave said. "Meanwhile, you are not to leave the house. Food will be provided for you, and so will other nutriment that you need. Your guards will be keeping you company for the time being."

"He's mad, isn't he?"

Silence was the only answer given.

I sighed and walked with him, knowing Hunter will have one or two things to tell me once I get back.

XXX

» school is killing me right now... though, we have vacation in just four days so yeah. christmas is soon, can't wait. «