35. Sickness

Verity

I woke up in miserable pain. My head ached like I had been smashed against a wall. Groaning, I opened my eyes and blinked several times. Looking around, I realised I was in an unfamiliar room and an IV was inserted in my skin. I followed the line and saw the blood bag. Panic ranked through me and I tore it out, tossing it to the floor. 

Loud voices came from the other side of the door. I soundlessly climbed out of the bed and sneaked towards it. Pressing my ear against the cool surface, I was able to pick up the conversation. I recognised Hunter's voice immediately. 

"Why is she not getting better? It has been hours!" He sounded frustrated and a wave of fear hit me suddenly. 

"We do not know, Alpha." It was a female who answered. "Dr. Hower found nothing wrong with her vitals. She has blood in her system, so her body should be working fine. We connected her to an IV, just in case."

A grunt was the only reply heard before footsteps echoed in the corridor outside the door. I withdrew from the door and stumbled back to the bed. Apparently, I was not as quick as I thought seeing as I was only half way towards my destination when the door swung open. My body froze like a deer caught in headlights and I stared at Hunter. He blinked back at me, raising an eyebrow. 

"What are you doing out of bed?" He asked, taking a step into the room only to stop and narrow his eyes. "Where's the IV?"

My gaze shifted to the floor as I shuffled to the bed and crawled into it. He followed my stare and growled when he saw the IV trashed on the floor. A sigh left his lips. His eyes glazed over before he went to sit down next to me on a chair. 

Soon, man dressed in scrubs stepped into the room. He gently closed the door and turned to me. A smile graced his face and he bowed deeply.

"Good afternoon, Luna. I'm Dr. Matt Hower. Alpha called for me regarding your IV." He peered at the ground. "May I ask why you pulled it out?"

"It will do me no good," I groaned out. 

Hunter growled. "Put another into her."

"I can, of course. But it won't stop her from pulling it out."

A frustrated glint appeared in Hunter's eyes. Before he could get to order me around, I piped up with an adamant: "The IV and infusion of blood will only hurt me. I need to let this out of my system."

Dr. Hower raised his eyebrows. "Are you implying what I think you are?"

I shrugged, having no clue what he was referring to. I knew nothing about the body, all I knew was what to not do after drinking from another vampire.

"Okey then." He nodded in thought. "I will prescribe you iron pills. Three a day should do for you. Take them with a human meal."

"Thank you," I whispered.

"You're welcome, Luna. Alpha." He bowed and left the room. 

Hunter leant back in his chair and ran a hand through his hair. I peered at him in silence. Soon, a nurse knocked on the door and gave me a bag with pills. Hunter immediately grabbed it from me as he stood up. Offering me a hand, he easily lifted me up and held me to his side. My legs wrapped around his hips and I buried my head in his shoulder.

My body ached with every movement he made. I gritted my teeth. The poisonous blood was still running through my veins, draining my immune system of its energy. My eyelids fluttered open and close, brushing his skin. A low sigh left his lips. I smiled and nuzzled him. Even though my body was screaming in pain, his touch silenced it a little.