40. Oh sweet apple

Verity

I was trudging through the forest, humming for myself. My boots dangled in my hand and my bare feet sank in the forest floor; a feeling I had missed for a long time. I walked past the thick trunks and marvelled at the green scenery around me. 

Once in a while, I spotted a coat of fur dashing past in the shrubbery or around some tree trunk. Sometimes, the wolves would stop to glower at me before disappearing among the shadows. I paid them no attention as I walked deeper into the forest and embraced the silence that soon followed. 

That is, until the sky darkened above me. I peered up just as drops began to fall. A smile spread across my face. There I stood, in the middle of the clearing with my arms spread wide whilst raindrops hailed down on me. The raindrops kissed my skin, caressed me with harsh yet gentle touches whilst pouring down my body and soaking me to the bone. A feeling I had missed washed over me. I felt free for the first time in years.

Verity- I jumped slightly as Hunter's voice filled my mind -I don't know if this will reach you, but if it does, get inside. It's pouring down. I don't want you to get sick.

His voice paused before he whispered through my mind: Please, Verity. Go inside or come home.

I sighed but opened my eyes and peered around whilst sniffing in the air. The smell of freshly made bread reached my nose through the dense forest. I nodded for myself. I should be near Keira's cottage. Skipping over the moss coated ground, I followed the scent. 

Ten minutes later, a quaint little cottage came into my view. I happily strutted up to the door and knocked on it. Shouts and footsteps could be heard from behind it before it slammed open.

"Luna Verity!" The sand haired boy smiled up at me. 

"Hi, Tristan. May I come in?"

"Yes, yes, please do." He stepped aside, ushering me inside. "Aunt Keira, Luna Verity is here! And she is drenched!"

Keira appeared in the doorway to the kitchen, drying her hands on a towel. Her eyes widened when she saw me. 

"Oh, dear, you must be soaked to the bones. Go upstairs and take a shower. I will provide clean, dry clothes for you."

"No, it's not necessary. I'm fine."

"Luna, I insist." She gently grabbed my hands and pulled me upstairs. "We do not want you to catch a cold."

I sighed but gave in, knowing there was no point in telling her I could not get sick. With no resistance, I let her usher me into a small bathroom with the promise to get me some dry clothes. She shut the door behind me with a stern glance that drifted from me to the shower. I simply laughed and nodded, and as she disappeared downstairs, I stripped out of the wet dress and jumped into the shower. A sigh left my lips when the warm water hit my face. 

xxx

The cotton shirt and the suit pants were warm and comfortable. I snuggled into the shirt whilst I made my way downstairs. The towel was wrapped around my head, keeping my hair away from my back. I was comfortable and content, a purr slipping past my lips as I stepped into the warm living room.

"Verity! Verity! You wanna play a game?" Tristan shouted the moment I appeared in the doorframe to the living room. 

"Yeah, sure. What do you have in mind?"

"Go fish!" He beamed as he looked up at me. "You can the rules?"

I nodded. "I think so. Aunt Kiera, do you want to join?"

"I would love to, dear, but I need to make dinner."

"You need help?" I was about to stand up and go to the kitchen, but she gestured for me to sit with a stern look in her eyes.

"No, no. You two can play. I will take a round with you after dinner, how's that?"

Tristan cheered before he ran off to get the cards. I sank down by the table, placing my elbows on it while leaning my chin in my hands. I heard him run around upstairs, bumping into things in his haste to find the cards. Tristan returned, holding out a deck of cards to me. I took them from him and began to blend them quickly; he watched while low sounds of fascination left him.

"Five or seven cards?"

"Seven!" He smiled brightly. 

I dealt seven cards each before placing the remaining cards on the table. Tristan neatly arranged them into a sea of cards, and grabbed his own cards. We began to play as the minutes ticked by. Tristan would pout whenever he had a card I asked for or when I got a full four pair. Whenever he got a card from me or when he got pairs, I would playfully growl at him. It only made him grin and laugh as he would place his pairs in neat piles on his side of the table. 

We played many rounds until Keira announced dinner was ready. I put down my cards and stood up. Tristan did the same and then he grabbed my hand as he dragged me to the kitchen. I followed, a smile dancing on my lips as his tiny hand gripped mine harshly. For a fleeing moment, I imagined how it would be if I had kids on my own with Hunter. But then I quickly shook that ridiculous thought out of my head; it was impossible. 

Tristan dragged me into the kitchen, bouncing up and down. Keira had already placed the pots on the table and was waiting for us. She watched Tristan pull me after him, shaking her head with a low chuckle. He let go off my hand to jump into a chair, before gesturing to the chair on his right. 

"Luna, you can sit next to me!" He beamed. I was certain I could see a hint of canines in his smile.

I sank down on the chair chosen for me. Keira immediately filled my plate with spaghetti and meat sauce. I softly thanked her and waited for her to fill Tristan's and her own plate before I took a bite. My eyes widened as the slightly spicy flavour met my senses. 

"I'm afraid I have no blood for you, Verity." Keira put some vegetables on Tristan's plate. "I hope it is okay nevertheless."

"No worries, Aunt Keira." I smiled at her. "This is the best meat sauce I have ever tasted."

She beamed at me.