38. Unfortunate one

It was day by the time he woke up. The sun had replaced the moon one hour ago. Our eyes met and I mustered a small smile before I carefully slipped out of his strong hold and sat up. He kept his gaze on me whilst I sat still, staring at the opposite wall. 

A warm hand splayed across my back and I tilted my head to the side.

"The funeral is at one."

Something within me hissed at that sentence. I swallowed, pushing my thoughts back, and nodded in affirmation. Right, werewolves held ceremonies for their fallen ones; for the unfortunate ones who lost their lives before they were meant too. Vampires did not. At least, not the vampires I once knew.

Hunter gently stroked my hair before climbing out of bed. His naked behind disappeared into the bathroom and I soon heard the shower get turned on. Water hit tiles before skin got in the way and a soft groan bounced off the walls. 

I slowly stepped out of the bed whilst Hunter showered. Stepping into the wardrobe, I grabbed one of his shirts and slipped it on before grabbing a pair of shorts. I left the room and slipped downstairs. It was silent aside from the water running upstairs. I stepped into the kitchen and rummaged through the fridge before I pulled out some yoghurt. 

I filled a bowl with it and added raisins. Grabbing a spoon, I sat down and began to eat my breakfast. Several minutes later, the water was cut off and I heard him dry himself before leaving the bedroom. I kept eating whilst I watched him descend the stairs. Our eyes met briefly before he looked away and opened the fridge. I finished my yoghurt and placed the bowl in the dishwasher before I practically ran upstairs and jumped into the shower.

Meanwhile I took a shower, I heard Hunter walk through the bedroom and rummage through the wardrobe. I paid it no further mind and continued to schampoo my hair.

When I got out, the bedroom was empty and a simple black dress was laid out on the bed. A pair of black boot heels was placed on the floor by the foot of the bed. Underwear had also been provided. Rolling my eyes, I dropped the towel to the floor and put the underwear on before shrugging the dress on. Its long sleeves covered my arms down past my wrists. The skirt reached down to my knees. I put the boots on; they reached to just below my knees. 

Smoothing down any wrinkles, I went back inside the bathroom to blow dry my hair. When I was done, I heard Hunter enter the bedroom before stepping into the bathroom. I slipped past him and sank down on the bed, leaning against the headboard. 

Hunter had barely said anything to me this morning and it irked me. I peered into the bathroom and stared at him. He silently tied his black tie and straightened it, looking at himself in the mirror. The suit he had on was black too, along with his newly polished shoes.

I had my hands clasped in my knee and my eyes were now peering at the sunlit sky. It felt wrong to wear black this day, as I associated black with happiness and freedom and not with sorrow and death.

"Verity." I raised my eyes to meet his. "Are you ready?"

No. No, I am not.

I stood up, smoothing out the creases and staring at myself in the mirror. The black dress hugged my figure and gave me the look of an elegant lady; something I was not.

I nodded.

He held out his hand and I took it, holding it close. I was scared for what was about to come.

xxx

The ride was silent and no words were uttered between us. We sat on opposite sides of the car, staring out of opposite windows. My hands rested in my lap while I watched the outside whisk by. Hunter had one hand over my thigh, his thumb drawing lazy circles over the fabric. It was probably meant to comfort me, to ease my worries, but it did the opposite. It made me frantic and anxious.