Chapter Three

Jhoana

"What if I give you a thousand reasons to stay, will you do it?" Napatingin ako kay Bea. Ang OA neto. A thousand reasons? Ang dami nun. Tinawanan ko sya.

"Hay nako, Bea. Kahit isang magandang reason nga lang ang ibigay mo sakin, I'll stay. But it must be really good." I felt her grip tightened. Then, she smiled.

"Okay. I will give you that one best reason for you to stay here. Para hindi na rin ako nag-iisa dito", sagot nya at tumawa sya. Ang saya nya tumawa. Yun bang parang wala kang choice kung hindi tumawa rin? Tapos kasabay pa yung mata. My growling stomach snapped me back into reality. Tumigil sa pagtawa si Bea. "Gutom ka na? Tara sa bahay. Nagluto ako ng lunch."

Hold on, prepared sya ah? "Uh, wag na. Nakakahiya. Magluluto na lang ako dun sa bahay. May mga pagkain namang binili si Mang Ely, eh." I lied. Ayoko lang talaga. What if lasunin nya ako bigla? I just met her a while ago.

I guess she's a mind reader because she just answered, "Wag kang mag-alala. Hindi kita lalasunin. O kung hindi ka parin convinced, just call Mang Ely." I laughed her off. Here I am again, being so paranoid. I've watched too many movies and read too many books para mag-isip ng ganito. She's right. Hindi naman siguro talaga sya masamang tao. She'll give me a reason to stay here pa nga diba?

"Okay, you win." I smiled. I must have been so cute because she pinched my nose and started to run. "Hey! You shouldn't do that to someone you just met!", I shouted.

"But I just did!", she shouted back. Then I ran after her. I admit I'm enjoying this. It's been a long time since I ran like this, with the wind welcoming every step I made. But I guess I enjoyed too much because I didn't see the rock kagad. I accidentally stepped on it and the next thing I knew, I already fell flat on my face.

"Araaaay!". I tried to get up but my knees hurt so bad. My left knee's bleeding. Crap. Parang bata lang, Jho? I can't even remember when was the last time I had a cut. Bea was quick to come to my aid. She knelt down and checked my wound.

"Ayos ka lang? Masakit ba?" I found her worried face adorable. Teka, naisip mo pa talaga yun, Jho?

I smiled despite the sting the wound gave me and tried to get up but my knees are wobbling. No more than five seconds of standing up and I found myself face to face with Bea. I fell on top of her. We even almost kissed. Buti na lang my reflexes are still quick at madali kong naiiwas yung labi ko sa kanya. Crap. Why is my heart beating this fast? Am I too scared because of the fall? She must've sensed the awkwardness because she slowly laid me onto her left side.

"You're not okay, Jho. Come, I'll just carry you na lang. Malapit na lang naman yung bahay ko."

I want to protest against the idea but given what had happened a while ago, I remained silent and let her carry me on her back. It would've been romantic if only she was a guy. I hope she's unaware that my heart is beating erratically right now. That would be weird. Baka isipin pa nya she's making me nervous. Well, she really is making me nervous. Wait, what?

Sometimes, I think that something is wrong with me. I get to think a lot of weird ideas minsan. Nung minsan nga, kinakausap ako nung officemate ko and I suddenly had the urge to punch her in the face for no reason at all. Good thing my hands were busy with my laptop that time.

Just like today, I am suddenly having the urge to kiss Bea's shoulders because it looks sexy. No, Jho. Since when did you get attracted with a girl? The last time I checked, you are into guys pa naman. I remembered my prof during college who also happens to be a manghuhula. He asked me if tomboy daw ba ko. Like duh? Babaeng babae naman ang pormahan ko. I get attracted with guys, too. Why did he think I'm a lesbian? Shit, ang dami ko ng naisip. To think na ang involved pa is somebody who I just met.

"You're quiet." Crap. Did she notice kaya? I hope not.

"Aren't you tired?" I asked, ignoring her remark. "C'mon, you can put me down na. I think kaya na ng tuhod ko maglakad." At tsaka para wala na din akong weird thoughts about your sexy shoulders. Whuuut? But she just continued walking and with the next twenty or so steps, we're already inside her house. She laid me down on the sofa.

"I'll just get the meds para magamot natin yang sugat mo." Sweet. Ugh! Stop it, Jho. She immediately came back with her kit and started attending to my wounds. "Bakit ka ba kasi nadapa?"

"Helloooo. Sino kaya tong tumakbo at nag pahabol? Duh!" Inis kong sinabi sa kanya. Tinawanan nya lang ako.

"Sino ba kasing may sabi sayong habulin mo ako?" I ignored her. I think I'm already drained to even think of a comeback. A few more minutes and she's done. "Done! Wait, I'll just set the table so we can eat na." After a while ay binalikan na din nya ako sa sofa at inalalayan maglakad papunta sa dining table. My face lighted up when I saw na Sinigang na Hipon ang ulam. My favorite!

Beatriz

Her reaction is so priceless.

"OMG, favorite ko to!" She is beaming. Muntik na ko masilaw.

"Oh? Kaya pala eto yung niluto ko eh." She laughed and then bit her lower lip. Fuck. Can you please stop doing that? I sat beside her.

"I'm gonna eat na ha! I'm starving!" She started to eat. The moment she tasted the food, she started screaming. "OMG, Bea. Do you know I could kiss you right now? The best sinigang na hipon ever!"

I don't know but it kind of turned me on. But, no. So I decided to eat na lang to forget what I just felt. Nagkwentuhan lang kami habang kumakain. She just told me na pinalayas daw sya ng Mom nya sa kanila. She doesn't seem to mind kasi they're not really close to begin with. All her life nasa abroad yung Mom nya and umuuwi lang once a year so there's really not enough time for them to know each other very well. Hindi nya nabanggit yung Dad nya and I decided not to ask either. She's a CPA and is on a month long vacation from work. Another thing is, she never had a boyfriend yet. I asked her why.

"I don't know. Hindi rin ako masyadong ligawin eh. Also, I guess it's not for me. I can't imagine myself being committed to somebody."

And from that moment on, I realized that that would make her stay here. Being committed to somebody. But how would I do that if she's not willing? I guess I have a lot of work to do.