Chapter Twenty-One

Jhoana

You can't hold on to your feelings for someone who isn't meant to be yours for too long. One way or another, you have to let go. Not because you stop loving the person but because you have to free yourself from the inflicting pain. When I saw Bea days ago at the jewelry shop and realized that she has already moved on, I decided to move on too. It was my decision, after all, to leave her. To let her find another love because I know that I am not capable of giving the love I thought she deserved. I can see that she's really happy. I had to thank EJ for that. At least, she's doing a great job of making her happy. It hurts me to know that I am not the one who's doing so. But knowing that Bea's happy is enough for me.

I was busy finishing my work for the day when one of my teammates, Therese, approached me in my cubicle.

"Jho, pinapatawag ka ni Ms. Rach sa office nya." My heart skipped a beat when I heard Therese. My health condition is not yet known in the office. I know it's not right but I don't want to lose my job. It's one of the few things that help get me through the day. Shit. Alam na ba nila? I just smiled and nodded at Therese who went back to her cubicle as soon as I acknowledged what she said. I stood up from my seat and tried to maintain a calm face even though I feel like in a deep shit already. I made my way to Ms. Rach's office and upon reaching the door of her office, I exhaled heavily before knocking. I heard her say the words "Come in", my cue to open the door and so I did. She's currently busy typing in her laptop but managed to look up to see who has come. She smiled when she saw me and that made me calm a bit.

"Jho, finally. Please have a seat." She pointed at the seat in front of her table and so I obliged. She closed her laptop and gave me a big smile. "How are you doing, Jho? Okay ka pa ba sa work mo dito?" I really like Ms. Rach because she really cares for her subordinates. Hindi lang namin sya boss. She's like a friend to us, too. When we are loaded with too many works, she never forgets to ask how we are doing. If she sees that we are stressed in our work, minutes later, a food delivery will arrive courtesy of Ms. Rach. Kaya nga ang gaan gaan nang loob ko sa kanya. I felt bad that I'm not informing her that I am sick but I just don't have any other choice.

"Okay pa naman ako, Ms. Rach. Masaya parin ako sa work ko dito. Syempre masaya din ako dahil kayo parin ang boss ko." She laughed upon hearing what I said. Minsan magaling din kasi ako sumipsip. Char. That is, honestly, how I feel about her being my boss.

"You know what Jho, I am happy, too because I have one of the best employees of this company. Kaya nga I want to reward you dahil aware naman ako sa lahat ng efforts mo to do your job very well." Omygosh, am I being promoted? "I want to offer you a job. Overseas." What? "I know this is so sudden. It's just that our office in Dubai needs additional manpower and they decided to get them here in our office. I picked you and Marci because you both have been doing great. Tsaka this would not be long-term naman. It would be only for a year. So, what do yo think?" She smiled at me while waiting for my answer. I honestly don't know what to answer. I mean, I know this is a good opportunity for me but will it be okay given my health condition is not too well?

"When will we be leaving if ever we decided to go po, Ms. Rach?" She laughed once again.