Chapter Sixteen

Beatriz

I was so shocked when Mom told us that she's expecting EJ to come. I definitely didn't see that one coming. After what happened, well, I prayed that our paths will not cross anymore. Hindi naman sa hindi ko na inexpect na kahit kailanman ay hindi na kami magkikita. That's impossible given that both our mothers are very good friends. It's just that, I hoped it won't be this soon.

The moment she went inside our house, I immediately grabbed Jho's hand. I don't know. It just calms me whenever I do that. Hindi ko rin alam kung bakit kailangan kong kumalma. Mas lalong hindi ko alam bakit ako kinakabahan. Of course, you're feeling guilty. No. I already said sorry. Like it will ever be enough?

Maddie greeted her. Then she stood up to hug and kiss EJ. I can't look at her actually kaya kay Maddie ako tumingin. Pero pinandilatan nya ako ng mata. Kaya tumayo na rin ako para yakapin si EJ.

"Hi, Bea. It's been a long time. I am so glad to see you again." She said that while I was hugging her. She hugged me so tight that I felt the need to finally break it and so I did.

"It's nice seeing you again, too" I said smiling. "I didn't know you're coming, though."

"Well, I finally gave in to Mom's suggestion to try living here in the Philippines. And you're here din naman kasi." I don't know why she had to say that. Baka kung ano pang isipin ni Jho. Speaking of Jho...

"By the way, I would like you to meet Jhoana, my girlfriend. Love, this is EJ...well, uhm, my friend." Jho stood up to shake EJ's hand. EJ just smiled and shook hands with her.

"EJ is my friend's daughter. She and Bea got close when Bea went to the States." My Mom went on to explain to Jho. Jho must be wondering who EJ is. I never got the chance to tell her about EJ. I think it never even occurred to me that I should tell her about EJ.

After our dinner, Mom told us to catch up with EJ, me and Maddie. She, then, invited Jho to join her in the kitchen. I wanna go with them pero ayaw ko nang magtanong pa si Mom. I'm sure magtataka yun kung bakit ayaw ko kausapin si EJ. The catch up was fine, I guess. Wala namang awkwardness na naganap. I thank Maddie for that. Sya palagi ang nag-oopen ng mga topics na hindi awkward pag-usapan. I even enjoyed it, too. It was nice to know that EJ is doing good. She decided to work here in the Philippines. Nurse kasi sya.

Mom, together with Jho, later came out with the cupcakes that Jho bought. I noticed that she's kinda off. Parang ang lungkot nya at ang tahimik lang din nya. Kapag tinatanong ko naman sya if may problema, she would just shrug it off at pagkatapos ay makikinig na lang sa mga kwentuhan.

I don't know but lately, Jho is kind of spacing out. Like all the time. Parang palagi syang madaming iniisip. Minsan din kapag tatawag ako sa office nya ay wala sya. Kapag naman tatanungin ko kung saan sya nagpunta, ang sasabihin lang nya sa akin ay nag lunch out sila ng team nya. I can sense na may dinadala sya. It hurts that she's not telling me what it is but I am trying to understand her. Alam kong sasabihin nya din naman sa akin yun kapag ready na sya.