4%

"Am I not allowed to be interested in animal fact books?" I retorted, grinding my teeth together.

Phil stared at me for a moment as if I were a book and he didn't understand the page he was on. "Listen.. I don't even know your name..." Phil began, but I cut him off with an introduction.

"Dan Howell." I gave a false smile, holding out my hand.

Phil gasped, completely ignoring my gesture. "You won the art competition last year?" He questioned.

I nodded in response. "It's not that big a deal.."

"Are you joking?" Phil grinned, bring his book to his chest. "I loved the painting. If one day it's at an auction, I shall buy it."

My eyebrows furrowed but I couldn't help to smile. "Really? It was just my brother holding a balloon."

"But still! The way the sky fills up the canvas and to the far away landscape, and how the balloon contrasts the scene." Phil exclaimed, moving his hand in through the air as if he were touching it. "It's so... Colorful."

I let out a short laugh. "Thank you. You're the first person who's said that to me." I admitted.

Phil looked confused. "That's odd."

"Why do you talk like that?"

"What?"

"'Odd'... 'Shall'..." I breathed a laugh. "Are we in the 17th century?"

"Well, if you've come over here to make fun of me, you're doing a very good job." He muttered, throwing the book in his backpack, and throwing the black strap over his shoulder.

"What? Wait.." I asked, standing up after he did.

"Dan.." Phil looked at me suddenly with the upmost sadness. My heart melted. "I get made fun of because I read books about animals, and because I wear galaxy shirts to school." He told me, taking a few steps away from me.

"It's funny how cruel the world can be, you know? Teased for doing something I love because I'm not like the rest of you."

I shook my head, feeling mad at those people who made Phil feel this way. But I was one of those people. I had talked about Phil constantly, making fun of his clothing and choice of literature.

"And more so, I'm only here for an education, not to be the center of attention. I'm this little piece of dust floating around a galaxy that everyone seems to hate."

"I-"

"Don't apologize." Phil said, cutting me off sharply. Reason number 4 not to fall in love with Phil Lester; I bully him.

I shifted the weight from one foot to the other. "I'll see you around, Dan." He gave me a short smile, and started out of the cafeteria.

I watched him walk, feeling bad for the kid when I saw PJ out of the corner of my eye. He was making gestures towards Phil, indicating that I should go after him.

I raced across the cafeteria, maneuvering past some people and to the doors. "Phil!" I called, watching him turn around. I panted in front of him, and he waited for me to catch my breath.

"A few friends of mine are going out after school to that new arcade downtown..." I told him. "Wanna come?"

Phil was silent for a moment. "Yeah."