64%

"Wh-what?" Phil stuttered, nonchalantly grabbing my hand under the table.

"Why are you so rebellious, Phil?" His dad raised his voice, dropping his silverware on the table.

"Can't we just enjoy one dinner without this discussion?" Martyn tried to protest, but Phil's dad continued.

"First, you go and study the stupid stars when you could get a good job. Then, you run away with that troublesome boy." Mr. Lester pointed at me.

"Sweethea-" Even his mother tried to calm him down.

"And now, you're in love with him?"

I squeezed Phil's hand, and he held on tighter. "Dad, stop. I'm 18."

"And your life is going to go to hell if you keep it up."

"Hey!" I stepped in. "Who are you to talk to him like that?"

"Excuse me, who are you to come in my house and tell how to raise my son?"

"I'm not telling you how to raise him! I'm just telling you that you shouldn't talk to a human being like that."

"Dan. Please." Phil muttered.

"I know what's best for my son."

"Oh yeah? You don't even know him as a person."

"Of course I do!" He retorted.

"What's his favorite constellation?" I began quizzing Mr. Lester, feeling like I was yelling at my own father.

"How am I supposed to know that?"

"It's Lynx, because he likes the animal. And it's best seen in March-At... At 9 pm." I glanced down at Phil, and he nodded enthusiastically.

"What does that have to do with anything?" His dad asked.

"Because I've known Phil for about two months, and I love your son. With all my heart, sir, I really do. If you can't accept that, then I'm sorry."

There was an awkward silence while
Martyn tried to hide his smile by taking a bite of the pasta.

"I think I'm gonna... Gonna go." I shrugged, standing from the table and releasing my hand from Phil's.

"You don't have to..." Phil replied softly.

"It's alright. I have to check on Adrian anyways." I turned to Phil's mom. "Thanks for dinner, Mrs. Lester."

She nodded in reply. I leaned down and kissed Phil right on the lips, and lingered there for a few moments just to annoy his homophobic father. "I'll see you tomorrow, love." I smiled at him before walking away from the dinner and out the door.