62%

Phil jumped on me when he opened the door. He stood on his toes to wrap his arms around my neck, and pulled me tight to him. I slid my arms around his waist and breathed in his scent.

"It's only been two days." Phil whispered. "But I missed you so much."

"I've missed you more."

Phil took a step back and held me at arms length."Dan. I have something really important to tell you."

"What is-"

"Dan!" His mother called from behind him. Phil immediately dropped his arms by his side and turned around. "It's nice to see you again!" She smiled.

"Nice to see you too, Mrs. Lester."

"Catherine, please. C'mon you two, dinner's ready." She motioned for us to go to the dining room.

I looked back to Phil, and he shrugged.
"I-I'll tell you later." He said softly, and lead the way inside.

It was a typical family dinner, spaghetti and meatballs, with bread and salad. Phil's brother Martyn was there too.

We shook hands for an introduction, and Martyn leaned to my ear. "Be careful what you say around my parents."

"Wha-"

"They don't appreciate Phil's- Well... Phil." He warned, patting me on the shoulder. I nodded cautiously and he left me to sit at the head of the table.

I furrowed my eyebrows and took a seat next to Phil. "Isn't everything so yellow?" He smiled over at me.

"Yeah, it is." I returned the smile, and reached for his hand under the table.

Phil immediately moved his hand away when mine touched his. "Sorry, my palms are really sweaty.. Right now." He replied, wiping his hand on his pants.

"It's okay."

"Phil, I'm surprised you invited Dan, and not your girlfriend." His mom said playfully as she took a seat.

I snapped my head towards Phil, but he slowly turned his towards me. "Girlfriend?" I repeated.

"Yes. I thought you knew her?" Her mom asked.

Phil gave me a pained smile. "No. Can't say I have." I answered almost in a whisper.

"She goes to your school, and all. Her name is Danielle?"

"It..." I stared at Phil. "It doesn't ring a bell."