29%

It was Monday morning when I opened my door to leave for school, and Phil stood on my porch.

Reason number 23 not to fall in love with Phil Lester, he always had some crazy scheme.

"Let's run away."

"What?" I asked, closing the door behind me.

"Everyone at school thinks I'm a cheater. Everyone at school thinks you are too." His eyes weren't red, but he was sad. His voice was strong, but I could hear the lump in his throat.

"How do you know that?"

"It's all over PJ's social media." Phil explained. "His instagram, twitter... He's playing the victim like we actually slept together."

I shook my head. "What a douche.."

"And people are commenting their apologies." Phil ran his hand over his face. "I'm sorry for ever going out with him. Idiot."

"You're not an idiot, Phil."

"No. He is."

A small smile crept on my face.

"We should run away."

It faded just as quickly as it appeared.

"We can't. You know we can't." I pleaded, watching Phil. He seemed to have expected me to say yes.

"Everyone already bullies me anyways. And you don't need people's crap on your plate. PJ was right.. I am a freak."

"No you're not." I said firmly. "Don't think badly of yourself. You're smart, and funny, and you... You're Phil Lester."

"That's exactly why you stayed away." Phil muttered, and I sighed.

"Phil.."

"Are you coming?" He asked, changing the subject with a fold of his arms.

"You know I would love to, but I can't."

"You've always wanted to leave this town, Dan. Now's your chance."

"How are you?"

"Red.. Purple. A mix." Phil answered with a short shrug.

"Then be yellow and stay."

"I can't be yellow if I stay, that's the point!" He raised his voice. "I'm leaving with or without you."

"No, you're not."

"Yes, I am."

"Phil, I can't leave Adrian... He'd never last alone with my dad."

"Take him with us. The three of us can have a good life outside-"

"He's thirteen, Phil! We can't take care of him!" I threw my arms up with desperation.

"We could try..."

"We have no money, no place to live, no jobs."

"We can get all three of those things. We could live my brother!"

"No, no. I can't." I shook my head again. I would've taken a step back, but I would've hit the door.

"Please, Dan. I'm afraid to leave without you." His eyebrows lowered.

"Just stay here for God's sake!"

"Are you coming or not?"

I took a deep breath.

There were three truths to this situation.

One, I had always wanted to leave this stupid, stupid town.

Two, we'd be away from everyone who held a grudge against us.

Three, I'd be with Phil. No matter if he didn't love me back, he was my friend.

I'd die if something happened to him.

"What about NASA? How will you know if they want an interview?"

"It's over email, I have my phone." Phil's eyes widened. "That's it! Let's go live near NASA! If they accept, I'll be right next to them!"

"This is the worst idea in the history of ideas."

"I'm running out of time, Dan. Are you coming or not?"

I closed my eyes. Three truths. There were three truths to this situation. And three downsides.

One, if we got caught, our parents would kill us.

Two, my family would be heartbroken. My mother would not stop crying, my dad wouldn't rest until he found me, Adrian... I don't want to think about it.

And three, my answer.

"Let me go pack some stuff."