So This is What it's Like

It was 6:30 Monday morning. Karen and Jimi both woke up. Jimi went downstairs and started breakfast and Karen went into Emma's room. She walked over to her bed and sat down. "Good morning sweetie, time to wake up." Karen said softly. "Do I have to?" Emma groaned into her pillow. "Yes you do" Karen laughed and rubbed her back. "Uugghh" Emma groaned again and rolled out of bed. "Why don't we pick out what you are going to wear then you can hop in the shower." Karen said. "Ok" Emma replied. The two of them decided on an outfit and Emma went to get ready. Karen went downstairs to help with breakfast. Jimi was making pancakes and had started making bacon. Karen went over to finish cooking the bacon. "How was Emma?" Jimi asked Karen. "She didn't want to get up" Karen replied. "I figured that. What kid likes getting up at 6:30 in the morning to go to school?" Jimi said. "That's true" Karen replied. It was about 7:15 and Emma still wasn't ready. Karen went up to Emma's room and knocked on the door. "Hey Em, how's it going in there?" Karen asked. Emma walked over to the door and opened it. "I don't know what to do with my hair." Emma said. "Oh, sweetie let me help you." Karen said. "Thank you. Normally I don't care what my hair looks like, but I don't know. It's different this time." Emma said. "I don't mind doing your hair." Karen said and smiled in the mirror at Emma and she smiled back. Karen French braided her hair diagonally across her head and all the way down so it became a side braid. Once Karen was done they went downstairs and ate breakfast. Jimi and Karen both decided to take Emma to school since it was her first day back. Emma grabbed all of her things and got in the car. They got to Emma's school. "Have a good day sweetie. Jimi will pick you up when school is done." Karen said before Emma got out of the car.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

Emma walked into school and went to her locker. Cassie saw her and ran up to her. "Where have you been?! I thought you died or something" Cassie said. "Mike got arrested and I was moved to a new foster home." Emma said. "Dang girl. It's about time that Mike got arrested." Cassie said. "Yeah" Emma replied. "So, how are your new foster parents? What are their names?" Cassie asked. "It's Karen and Jimi." Emma said. "ARE YOU SERIOUS?!" Cassie asked excitedly. "Yeah" Emma said smiling. "You get to live with famous people and probably get to meet other famous people and get to go to awesome places." Cassie said. "Yep. I got to go to North Carolina this weekend because they had another show with Martina McBride." Emma said. "That is so cool!" Cassie said. "I know!" Emma replied. The bell rang and the girls went to class.

The end of the day came and Emma walked out to the pickup lane and saw Jimi and hopped in the front seat. "How was your first day back?" he asked. "It went pretty well I guess." Emma replied. "Do you have any homework?" He asked. "Yeah and I have a few assignments to make up from last week." Emma said. "How about we get some ice cream before we head home?" Jimi asked her. "I am always up for ice cream." Emma replied. They stopped at Dairy Queen and got themselves some ice cream and ordered one for Karen as well. They went home and they all sat down at the counter and ate their ice cream. Once they were done Jimi told Emma to get started on her homework. She had two math assignments a science worksheet and a few readings for her history class. She sat back down at the counter and started with her math homework. Math is a subject that she really struggles with. She got through a few problems before she stopped. Karen was making dinner and Jimi was in the living room. Karen looked up and saw a frustrated Emma. "How's it going Em? Do you need any help?" Karen asked. "Um, yeah I guess. I can't figure out how to do this math problem." Emma replied. "Jimi can you come in here and help Emma with her homework. I'm making dinner." Karen yelled towards the living room. "Ok" Jimi yelled back. He sat down next to Emma and was helping her work through the problems. They finished then moved onto her science homework. The two of them plowed through it. "This is the first time that I have actually understood any of my homework" Emma stated. "Well that's good" Karen said as she was finishing up dinner. "How about you two take a break and set the table for dinner" Karen said. "Yes ma'am" Jimi said and Karen laughed as well as Emma. They set the table then Karen brought the food over and they sat down and ate. After dinner the three of them cleaned up the table then Emma went back to doing her homework. She just had her reading assignments left so that wasn't too difficult.