How Do We Tell Her?

Karen is about eight weeks pregnant now and they haven't told anyone yet. "What time is the ultrasound tomorrow?" Jimi asked as he climbed into bed. "10:30, so we have to be out the door by 9:45 since we have to drop Emma off at Kimberly's" Karen replied. "Alright" Jimi said. He rolled over on his side and propped his head up with his hand and smiled at Karen. "Have I told you how much I love you?" Jimi said. "A few times" Karen said with a smile. Jimi leaned down and gave Karen a kiss. Karen crawled over to Jimi's side of the bed and laid her head on his chest and they both drifted off.

It was 8:00 the next morning. Emma woke up and saw that her parent's bedroom door was still closed. She walked across the hall and slowly opened the door a little and saw that her parents were still asleep. She walked into the room and crawled between the two of them, and covered herself up with the blankets. About fifteen minutes later Karen woke up and saw Emma laying down next to her. Karen pushed Emma's hair behind her ears. "Good morning sweetie" she said. "Good morning Mama" Emma replied. "Are you ready for breakfast?" Karen said and Emma nodded her head. "Let me guess, you want chocolate chip pancakes" Karen said. "Yep" Emma said smiling. "Alright, let's get moving then" Karen said and they climbed out of bed and left Jimi there to sleep a little longer.

They went downstairs and Karen and Emma started making the pancakes. They finished up and Jimi was still sleeping. "Can you go upstairs and get Daddy down here for breakfast?" Karen said to Emma. "Sure" Emma said and ran upstairs. She walked into her parent's room and saw her Dad still asleep. He was sleeping on his stomach with his arms wrapped around his pillow. She walked over to his side and nudged him "Daddy" she said in a quiet voice. "Mama and I made breakfast" she added, but Jimi didn't move. Then she nudged him again and he shifted a little, but was still sleeping. "Daddy, wake up" she said a little louder. When he still didn't wake up she climbed up on the bed and jumped on his back. "Aaahh, I'm up, I'm up" Jimi groaned then he rolled over and Emma fell on the bed and started tickling her. Emma was squealing. "That's what you get for jumping on me" Jimi said while laughing. Jimi stopped and Emma caught her breath, then the two of them walked downstairs for breakfast.

They sat down and ate breakfast together. After breakfast Karen and Jimi cleaned up the kitchen while Emma went upstairs to take a shower and get ready for the day. As soon as she was done Karen hopped in the shower and Jimi got dressed and sat down on the bed and waited for Karen to get ready. Karen got out of the shower, got dressed and did her hair and makeup. Karen started to feel sick to her stomach. When she couldn't breathe her way out of it, she ran over to the toilet and threw up. Jimi heard what was going on in the bathroom. "Karen are you ok?" Jimi asked worriedly all he heard was her throwing up again. "Kare, I'm coming in" Jimi said and opened the door to see Karen on the floor hovering over the toilet. He went up behind her and held her hair and rubbed her back. When she was done she flushed the toilet and sat down on the floor for a minute. Jimi sat down next to her and rubbed her back and kissed her temple. "Are you ok?" Jimi asked calmly. "Yeah" Karen whispered. They sat there for a few minutes then got up and got ready for Karen's ultrasound. Emma was downstairs watching TV. Jimi and Karen walked downstairs. "Are you ready to go over to Kimberly's?" Jimi asked her. "Yeah, but why am I going there?" Emma asked. Jimi looked at Karen unsure of how to answer her. "I have a doctor's appointment and we figured that you wouldn't want to hang out in a doctor's office all morning" Karen said. "Ok" Emma said, satisfied with that answer. Then the three of them got in the car and headed to Kimberly's.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

Jimi and Karen dropped Emma off and headed over to the hospital. Karen checked herself in and sat down in a chair next to Jimi. "Do you want to find out the gender when it's time?" Jimi asked Karen. "You know I'm not one for surprises" Karen said and Jimi laughed. "Of course how could I forget" Jimi said. Karen laid her head on Jimi's shoulder. "What if the baby is not ok?" Karen asked softly. "You can't think like that" Jimi said calmly. "It's just really hard not to worry about things like that" Karen said. "I know, but everything is going to be ok" Jimi said. Then a nurse came out and called them back. Karen laid down on table and lifted her shirt up. The ultrasound technician put the gel on her stomach and started the ultrasound. Karen reached for Jimi's hand and he squeezed it. The technician started the ultrasound. She turned the monitor so they could see what was going on. "The heartbeat is strong" she said. Karen looked at Jimi and smiled. "There is the head, and there is an arm" the technician said. "And there is the other arm" she added. Karen couldn't wipe the smile off her face. The technician wiped the gel off of Karen's stomach and printed a picture of the ultrasound. "Here you go" she said as she handed her the picture. "Thanks" Karen said taking it. "I will see you in a four weeks" The technician said and Jimi and Karen nodded and they left the exam room. Karen made another appointment and then her and Jimi left the office.