What Happens Next

The weekend's shows went great and the band headed back to Nashville. Emma had to go back to school tomorrow. Karen was a little worried about Emma going back to school because of those boys. It was late Sunday night and Emma was getting ready for bed. She was in the bathroom brushing her teeth when Karen knocked on the door. "Come in" she said with a mouth full of tooth paste. "Hey can I talk to you for a second" Karen said and grabbed the brush and started brushing Emma's hair. "Sure" Emma said then spit out her tooth paste. "How long have those boys been bothering you?" Karen asked. "I don't know. I guess since school started in September. When they found out I was in foster care." Emma said. "Why didn't you say anything?" Karen asked. "Because I thought I could take care of myself because I always had to take care of myself." Emma responded. "You don't have to do that anymore" Karen said. "I'm starting to realize that." Emma said. Karen finished up brushing her hair then they both went into Emma's room. Emma got into bed and Karen covered her up and sat down on the bed next to her. "If those boys are bothering you again at school, I want you to tell someone. We don't need any more trips to the hospital Ok." Karen said and Emma giggled. Karen gave Emma a kiss on her forehead. "I love you" Karen said. "I love you too, mom" Emma said and Karen smiled.

Jimi and Karen went to bed as well. Karen had her head resting on Jimi's chest and her arm around his stomach and Jimi had his arm around her and was running his fingers through her hair "Jimi, I don't want to send Emma back to school tomorrow." Karen said. "I don't either, but we have to." Jimi said. "That homeschooling idea is starting to sound really good right about now" Karen said. "It is" Jimi said. "But we just have to get though the rest of the school year" He continued. "But what if it doesn't get better for her, what if it just keeps happening. What if it gets so bad that she tries to hurt herself? It happens to kids all the time." Karen said. "Babe you are thinking way too hard about this." Jimi said and kissed the top of her head. "Maybe I am. I just want to keep her safe." Karen said. "And you will. We will." Jimi said. "Let's get some sleep we've had a long day" Jimi said. "You're right. Goodnight. I love you" Karen said and picked her head up and kissed Jimi. "I love you too" Jimi said.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

It was 6:30 and Karen got up and walked over to Emma's room. She sat on her bed "Wake up sweetie you have to get ready for school" Karen said in a soft voice. Emma rolled over to face Karen "Do I have to go to school?" she asked. "Yes you do." Karen said brushing the hair out of Emma's face. "I don't wanna go" Emma said sounding upset. "You have already missed three days in a row from a suspension. You have to go to school." Karen said. "I wanna stay home with you and daddy" Emma said in a whiney voice. "I want you to stay at home too, but school is important and you need to go" Karen said. Emma groaned. "I will make you chocolate chip pancakes and bacon" Karen said. Emma lifted her head up. "Are you bribing me?" she asked. "Absolutely" Karen responded. "Is it working?" Karen asked. "Yes" Emma replied and climbed out of bed and went to take a shower.

Karen walked downstairs and poured herself a cup of coffee and got out the stuff to make breakfast. Jimi joined her in the kitchen. "Do you need any help babe?" he asked. "Could you make the bacon?" she replied. "Sure" he said and started it up. "Emma really doesn't want to go to school." Karen told Jimi. "I know she doesn't" he replied. "If things get really bad, I think we should start homeschooling at the end of the semester in January." Karen said. Jimi was quiet. "Jimi, what do you think?" Karen asked. "I think that sounds like a good idea." He responded. Karen looked at him surprised. "I was thinking about it a lot last night and how we just want to keep her safe and happy. If it means homeschooling her and bringing her on the road with us, I think we should do it." Jimi continued. "I don't want people telling her that she is unwanted and unloved because she is at a very vulnerable state right now, and given everything she has gone through it wouldn't take much for her to believe them." Jimi finished. "That's what worries me the most" Karen said. "If things get worse we will talk to Emma about it" Jimi said and Karen nodded. They finished making breakfast and Emma came downstairs. They decided to eat at the table so Emma set it and they all sat down and ate breakfast. "Emma" Karen started "If anyone starts saying things like what they have been, I want you to tell someone whether it be me or Jimi or Kimberly, Rebecca, Phillip or Schlap. Ok. It is important that you talk to someone." Karen said. "I will, I promise." Emma said. "I'm gonna hold you to that" Karen said. They finished eating then cleared their dishes. Emma grabbed her stuff for school and her and Jimi got in the car. Jimi pulled up to the school "Have a good day, I love you." Jimi said. "I love you too, dad" Emma said and climbed out of the car. "I could get used to her calling me dad" He thought then pulled out of the parking lot and headed home.