Breaking the News

Jimi and Karen walked hand in hand to the car. "When do you want to tell Emma?" Jimi asked. "I was thinking on her birthday since it is this month." Karen said. "Sounds good to me. Now we just have to keep it from her for the next two weeks" Jimi said. "Yep" Karen said. They got to the car. "Since we are close to the mall, why don't we get Emma's birthday presents." Karen said. "Alright, but I don't know how much help I will be" Jimi replied and Karen laughed.

They got to the mall they went to a few clothing stores and Karen picked out two new outfits for Emma and a new pair of shoes with Jimi nodding in agreement to everything Karen picked out. Then they went to a jewelry store and bought her a gold charm bracelet. Then they went to the Hallmark Store and picked out a card. They decided that the way they were going to tell Emma about the adoption is by giving her the adoption papers as a gift. They decided that they were going to keep them in the envelope the judge put them in then put them in a box and wrap it and give them to her that way. They picked out the box and some wrapping paper. It was almost time to pick Emma up, so they went home quick and Jimi dropped off Karen and went to go pick up Emma from school.

Karen went inside and took all of the gifts up to their room and wrapped them and put them in her closet and she heard the door to the garage open and went downstairs and met Jimi and Emma in the living room. "Hey Emma, how was school?" Karen asked. "Fine" she replied. "Well that is not very convincing" Karen responded. "Anything you want to talk about?" Karen asked. "It's just.... I don't know..... I just don't like being at school. I don't have any friends except for Cassie. Those boys still bother me and the only thing that I look forward to is choir. I just hate going to school." Emma said really fast. "Oh, sweetie, come here" Karen said and Emma walked over to her and Karen wrapped her in a hug and put her hand on the back of Emma's head and was running her hand on Emma's hair then gave her a kiss on the top of her head. "How about we go in the kitchen, and I will get you a snack" Karen said. "Ok" Emma said quietly and they went in the kitchen. Karen made Emma a snack and Emma sat down at the counter and ate it then Jimi walked in. "How are my favorite ladies?" Jimi asked. "Much better now" Emma said. "Well I am glad to hear that" Jimi said. The kitchen was pretty quiet then Emma spoke up "Um... Have you guys thought about the whole homeschool idea at all?" Emma asked shyly. Jimi and Karen looked at each other "We have, and we think it is a good idea" Jimi said and smiled. "Really!?" Emma asked excitedly. "Yeah" Karen said. Emma let out a quiet high pitched squeal and ran over the Jimi and Karen and hugged them both. "Thank you thank you thank you thank you" Emma said really fast. "Your welcome" Jimi and Karen said and let out a small laugh.

Later that night and Emma went up to bed and Karen called Kimberly to tell her how everything went. "Hey Karen" Kimberly answered. "Hey Kim" Karen said. "How did everything go today?" Kimberly said. "It went great! The judge was really nice and signed the papers" Karen said excitedly over the phone, but not too loudly. "That is great! I told you everything was going to be fine" Kimberly said. "I know you did, and you were right" Karen said. "So how does it feel to officially be a mom?" Kimberly asked. "It is the most amazing feeling in the whole world." Karen said. "What did Emma say?" Kimberly asked. "We haven't told her yet. We are going to tell her on her birthday." Karen said. "Aww, that's a great idea. How are you going to do it?" Kimberly asked. "Today after our meeting at the courthouse, Jimi and I went to the mall and bought Emma her birthday presents and we decided that we are going to wrap the papers in a gift box and let her open them herself." Karen said. "Aww that is so cute" Kimberly replied. "I can't wait until she finds out" Karen said. "You will have to record it or take pictures because I want to see it" Kimberly said. "Don't worry I will" Karen said. "Alright, I'm going to let you go since it is getting late." Karen said. "Alright I will talk to you later" Kimberly said and they hung up the phone.