Creating The Reason Why

The tour was over and everything was back to normal. The band had a few weeks off for the holidays. Jimi, Karen and Emma spent one week in December with Jimi's family in Alabama then the next week with Karen's family in Georgia. Little Big Town did a New Year's Eve show in Nashville to finish up the year. At the start of 2009 they were going to head back into the studio to write for their next album.

It was the beginning of January. The band was meeting at the studio at 10:00 that morning to start writing. Maggie was coming over at 9:00 for Emma. It was 8:00 and Karen's alarm went off. She climbed out of bed and walked over to Emma's room and opened the door. "Good morning baby, time to get up. Maggie is coming in an hour" Karen said. "Alright" Emma said as she was yawing. Emma got in the shower and Karen laid out her clothes for the day. Then she went to go get ready. She figured out what she wanted to wear and waited to hear the water turn off in Emma's bathroom. When she did she hopped in the shower. When she was done she got out and got dressed. She went downstairs and Emma was sitting on the couch watching TV. Jimi was in the kitchen making a pot of coffee. "Em, what do you want for breakfast?" Karen asked. "I'll have a blueberry bagel" Emma said with her eyes glued to the TV. "Alright" Karen said and let out a laugh and put Emma's bagel in the toaster.

"Emma, your bagel is done" Karen called from the kitchen. "Ok" Emma said, but didn't move. "Em, turn the TV off and come sit down in here and eat" Karen said. "Alright" Emma said and turned off the TV and walked in the kitchen and sat down at the counter. She started eating. It was just about 9:00 and they heard the doorbell ring. "I'll get it" Jimi said and walked over to the door. "Hey Maggie, come on in" Jimi said. "Emma is in the kitchen" Jimi continued. "Alright" Maggie said and walked into the kitchen. "Hey Emma" Maggie said. "Hey" Emma replied. "Are you ready to get started?" Maggie asked. "Yep" Emma said and they walked over to the kitchen table. Maggie got out a grammar lesson for Emma to start. Jimi and Karen went into the living room and sat on the couch and watched some TV before they headed to the studio.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

It was 9:30 and Jimi and Karen got ready to go. Jimi went outside to warm up the car. "We will be back around 3:00 this afternoon" Karen told Maggie. "There are chicken nuggets in the freezer for lunch or there is mac and cheese in the cupboard if you want that instead." Karen said to Emma. "Ok" Emma replied. "I will see you in a few hours. Love you" Karen said and gave her a kiss on her forehead. "Love you too Mama" Emma said then Karen left.

Jimi and Karen got the studio first, then Kimberly and Phillip arrived shortly after. They all walked in together and got right to writing. They started throwing around lyrics "I could love you, baby, if you want me too" Kimberly sang. They played around with that line for a while then built the first verse of a song. They worked on that song the entire time in the studio. They pulled the first verse together then the chorus. It was 2:15 and they decided to call it a day and head home.

Karen and Jimi arrived back home. Maggie and Emma were just finishing up with their lessons for the day. Maggie packed up all her stuff and was ready to leave. "Good work today Emma" Maggie said and Emma smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow" Maggie said. "Bye Maggie" Karen and Jimi said. "How was your day today?" Karen asked Emma. "It was good" Emma replied and Karen smiled. The three of them relaxed at home until it was time for dinner.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

It was late spring and Little Big Town was still writing for their album and they were getting ready to go back out on tour as well. The band had some time between rehearsals for tour to work on some of their songs. They had set the song that they first started writing aside and decided to come back to it. "Guys we really need to figure this second verse. I really like where the song is going." Jimi said. "You're in my head. Like a song I can't forget" Karen sang to the tune that they had built. "Ooo I like that" Kimberly said. Then the rest of the lyrics started pouring out and they had the rest of the song written in an hour. "What should we call it?" Kimberly asked. "The Reason Why?" Karen asked. "That sounds perfect" Phillip replied. "Yeah, I agree" Kimberly added. "Me too" Jimi said. "I think you and Jimi should take the lead" Phillip said. "Are you sure?" Karen asked. "Yeah, let's try it" Kimberly said. Phillip and Jimi grabbed their guitars and started playing. After the intro Karen started singing the first verse. When the chorus came along everyone joined in and worked their harmonies. "That sounded great" Kimberly said. "I agree" Phillip said. "I think we should call the album "The Reason Why" Karen said. "It just seems so fitting" She added and everyone sat there and thought about it for a minute. "That sounds like a perfect name for this album" Jimi said and everyone else agreed.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

The band was leaving to go on tour with Zac Brown Band. Karen's alarm went off at 3:30 am. They wanted to let Emma sleep as long as possible before they left. Jimi grabbed his and Karen's bags and loaded them in the car while Karen walked quietly into Emma's room to get hers.

When Jimi came back inside he made a pot of coffee then Karen came downstairs with Emma's things and loaded them in the car. They filled up their travel mugs and Karen went to go get in the car while Jimi went upstairs to get Emma. He walked in her room quietly and picked her up. She stirred a little, but was still asleep. He carried her downstairs and got her in the car and buckled her seatbelt. Then he climbed in and they drove to the studio.

They arrived at the studio. Jimi got Emma out of the car. She was half awake and completely disoriented. Jimi laughed at the random things Emma was mumbling. Jimi carried her onto the bus and put her in her bunk and covered her up. Then went back outside and helped load up the bus. They got everything loaded and headed out on the "A Place To Land Tour"