He's Here

"One, two, three, push Karen!" The OB said. Karen gave her first big push and let out a loud scream. "You're doing great baby!" Jimi said smiling and holding her hand. The contraction ended and Karen caught her breath before the next one came. "Jimi, I can't do this!" She cried while catching her breath. "It hurts too much" she added. "Kare, you can do this! Just a few more pushes and he's gonna be here" Jimi said and brushed the loose hair out of her face. Another contraction started. "Alright we're gonna need you to push again" the doctor said. Karen gave another big push and screamed in pain. "JIMI, THIS IS YOUR FAULT! WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME?!" Karen screamed. The contraction ended and Karen took a couple of breaths. "Because that little baby is going to be worth it" Jimi said and dabbed a towel on her forehead to wipe up the sweat from pushing. "Just a few more pushes Karen, you can do this" the doctor said. Karen started pushing again. "There's his head" Jimi said with a smile. "Another push Karen!" the doctor said. Karen started pushing again and let out another scream. "He's almost here baby" Jimi said with excitement. "One more push Karen!" The doctor said. Karen gave one last big push. "He's here, you did it babe!" Jimi said and kissed her. "You want to cut the cord Daddy?" The doctor asked. Jimi nodded and walked over and cut it. The nurses took the baby to clean him up and wrap him in a blanket.

Karen was completely out of breath. "He's here?" Karen asked inhaling deep breaths as Jimi walked back to her. "Yeah he's here" Jimi said and hugged her from the side of the bed. Karen laid her head back on the pillow and started crying happy tears. Jimi climbed up next to her. "You did it babe" Jimi whispered in her ear. "You did it" He said again with the biggest smile on his face. "He's perfect" Jimi said and Karen smiled.

The nurse came back in holding their newborn baby boy. "Do you want to hold your son?" the nurse asked. "Yeah" Karen said softly. The nurse walked over to Karen and she sat up. Jimi sat on the bed next to Karen. The nurse carefully handed the baby to Karen and she held him close to her. "He's beautiful" Karen said softly with a smile on her face. "He's perfect" Jimi responded.

"Do you have a name picked out?" The doctor asked a few minutes later. "Yeah" Karen said and looked up at Jimi. "Elijah Dylan Westbrook" Karen said. The doctor nodded and wrote it down on the birth certificate. "Elijah Dylan Westbrook. Date of birth, March 5, 2010 at 8:22 a.m." The doctor said with a smile. Then she walked out of the room leaving the new parents alone.

"Hi sweet baby" Karen said in a soothing voice. "I'm your mama and this is your daddy and I already love you more than anything in this world, well besides your big sister. I can't wait for you to meet her. You are gonna love her" Karen said in the same voice. Jimi smiled at the things she was saying. "You are gonna be such a lady killer when you grow up" Karen said and Jimi laughed at the comment. After a while she passed Elijah over to Jimi.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

Jimi and Karen held Elijah for about a half hour longer, then the nurse took him to the nursery. Jimi was still laying in the bed with Karen. "I miss him already" Karen said and leaned up against Jimi. "Me too" Jimi said. "You know what I was thinking about earlier?" Karen asked. "What?" Jimi replied. "About our wedding" Karen said with a smile. "You know, the morning of our wedding I freaked out a bit" Karen said. "What did you freak out about?" Jimi asked, assuming it was some small detail. "I was worried that you didn't want to marry me and that you didn't really love me" Karen said quietly and not making any eye contact with Jimi. She had never told anyone about that except for Kimberly. Jimi didn't expect her to say that. "What made you think that I didn't want to marry you?" Jimi asked. "I don't really know. I knew you loved me and I don't know why I was so worried about it. It was just this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach" Karen said. "I guess I was just really afraid to lose you" Karen added. "You are never going to lose me" Jimi started and kissed her temple. "I promise you, I'm not going anywhere. I love you too much" Jimi said and kissed her temple again. "I know" Karen said with a smile. "You know, Kim showed me all the texts you sent her checking in on me from the night before" Karen said with a laugh. "Oh wonderful" Jimi said sarcastically. "That was one of the worsts nights of my life" Jimi continued. "Oh, and why was that?" Karen asked in a sarcastic tone. Karen had stayed with Jimi for a while after her divorce was final, and when they started dating they slept in the same bed. "Because it was the first night since we started dating that you weren't sleeping next to me and I missed you" Jimi said and Karen laughed. "You know, I wanted to marry you the day you kissed me on the couch in the apartment" Jimi said and smiled at her. Karen smiled at the memory.