He's Coming

Karen and Jimi reached their hospital room, thankfully without a contraction on the way there. The nurse came back in the room with a hospital gown for Karen. Jimi helped her change into it. Karen laid down on the bed and the nurse came back in to see how far dilated she is. "You're three centimeter's Mrs. Westbrook" the labor and delivery nurse said. "Only three?" Karen asked disappointed. "Yeah, you still have a little ways to go" the nurse said and smiled at her. Karen leaned back and put her head on her pillow and another contraction came. This one lasted a little longer than her previous contractions. "Jimi, I can't do this!" Karen shouted through the pain. "Yes, you can" Jimi said and Karen grabbed his hand. "Just remember, at the end you're going to have a baby" The nurse said and smiled at Karen. The contraction subsided for now. "I'll be back in a little while to see how you're doing. If you need anything just press the button" The nurse said. "Thank you" Jimi said while Karen laid her head back down and was breathing heavily.

Jimi sat next to the bed and held her hand. Neither of them said anything for a little while. Karen scooted over on the bed and motioned for Jimi to come up and lay down with her. Jimi climbed up and put his right arm around her back and held her hand with his left. When he got comfortable Karen started talking. "You know what was the first thing that popped into my mind when we were driving over here was?" She asked him. "The baby?" Jimi guessed. "You would think, but no. The first thing that came to mind was the night when you proposed" Karen said with a smile. "Really?" Jimi asked and smiled "It was the best night of my life, besides the actual wedding" Karen said and smiled at him. "Mine too" Jimi said and kissed her.

They laid there for a few minutes in a comfortable silence when Karen felt another contraction coming. "Oh no, it's happening again" Karen said with pain in her voice. She let out a shriek of pain as she sat up. Jimi sat up with her and wrapped his arm around her tighter and she squeezed his hand. "Just breathe baby, it's gonna be ok" Jimi repeated until the contraction subsided. "You did great babe" Jimi said and kissed the side of her head when it was gone. "That one was worse than the other ones" Karen said. "I know, you squeezed my hand harder than the last time" Jimi said and smiled. "Sorry" Karen said with an apologetic smile. "Its fine, you need something to squeeze to get you through it" He said. "You are seriously amazing" Karen said and turned towards him and gave him a kiss. "I try" Jimi said and Karen laughed. "Could you do me a favor?" Karen asked. "Of course, what do you need?" Jimi replied. "Could you get me a bucket of ice chips please?" She asked. "Of course" Jimi said and climbed out of the small hospital bed.

When he left the room she started thinking again. She thought back to the day her and Jimi got married. It was hard to believe that it was almost four years since they got married. She thought about how Jimi let her have whatever she wanted no matter what the price was. She didn't get to have a big extravagant wedding with Mark. Mark wanted a small wedding at the courthouse. They only invited their parents, siblings and two or three close friends to be there. Karen wore a simple white sundress and Mark wore khaki shorts and a blue button up shirt. It wasn't the wedding Karen wanted, but it was what Mark wanted so she went along with it.

Jimi on the other hand wanted to do whatever Karen wanted. If she wanted a big wedding, then they would have a big wedding. But Karen wanted a small semi-formal wedding with their friends and family all there to see it and celebrate with them. Karen wanted to be married by a pastor, so Jimi got them a pastor. She wanted to be married outside under a white archway covered with her favorite flowers, so Jimi got her a white archway covered with her favorite flowers. Karen smiled at the thought of everything Jimi did for her. Mark never even asked her what she wanted. It was always what he wanted. She didn't know what real love was until her and Jimi started dating.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Flashback