Boys and Stuff

After lunch everyone cleaned up and the kids played outside. Emma put Elijah in the baby swing and Daisy climbed onto a regular swing and Emma pushed them both. After the adults cleaned up, they went outside and sat on the patio and watched the kids play. Karen snapped a few photos on her phone. They stayed and talked for a little while. "We should probably get going, it's almost time for Elijah's afternoon nap" Karen said when she noticed Elijah dozing off in the swing. "Alright, Thanks for coming guys" Kimberly said. Karen walked over to the swing and picked Elijah up and carried him to the car. Jimi and Emma went inside and grabbed the diaper bag. Everyone walked over to Karen and Jimi's car and Kimberly gave everyone a hug. "I guess we'll see you guys next week when we do our next show" Kimberly said. "Yep" Karen said and gave her friend one last hug. Karen hopped in the car and they drove home.

........................................................................................................................................................................

On the drive home, Emma's phone buzzed. It was a text from Jake.

"Hey are you free to talk?" Jake sent.

"Yeah, we're on our way home from my aunt's house" Emma replied.

"You're just leaving now?" Jake asked.

"Yeah, usually when we go over to her house we spend a few hours there" Emma replied.

"I see. Are you and your aunt close?" He asked.

"Yeah I would say so. She's not technically my aunt. She's my mom's best friend, but I call her my aunt. All of my family lives out of state" She responded.

"That's cool. Where does your family live?" Jake asked.

"Mostly in Alabama and Georgia, with a few in Indiana as well" Emma replied.

"Nice. My family is all in Tennessee" Jake replied.

"That's cool. At least you don't have to travel far to see them like I do" Emma replied.

"That's true" he said.

"We should hang out again" Jake added.

"I would like that" Emma replied.

She was smiling at her phone and Karen noticed. "What's got you all smiley back there?" Karen asked. Emma looked up from her phone. "Me?" Emma asked. "Yeah you" Karen said and giggled. "Oh, it's nothing" Emma said. "It wouldn't have anything to do with a certain boy you met at the park now would it?" Karen asked with a smile on her face. Emma's cheeks started to get all rosy. "Maybe" Emma said shyly. Jimi just kind of ignored the conversation between his wife and daughter. He couldn't stand to think about his daughter growing up and starting to date. In his eyes, she is still his little girl.

Jimi pulled into the driveway and everyone got out of the car and went inside. Karen went upstairs and put Elijah in his crib for his nap. Emma sat down on the couch and continued texting Jake.

"We should go see a movie on Friday" Jake suggested.

"That would be fun. I will have to ask my parents. My dad might be a little bit difficult to convince, but if my mom has anything to say about it, I should be good" Emma replied.

"Are your parents strict?" Jake asked.

"I don't think they are. They have their rules and stuff, but I don't mind them. It's better than having parents who don't care at all. I've been through plenty of homes in the foster system with parent who don't care." Emma replied.

"How long were you in the foster system before you were adopted?" He asked.

"Basically since the day I was born until I turned 11" Emma replied.