The Road to Adoption

It is January 2nd, 2008, Emma's first day back at school. It was a rough time getting Emma to get out of bed. Karen woke up at 6:30 and walked over to Emma's room. She went over to Emma's bed "Come on Em time to wake up sweetie" Karen said. "I don't want to go" Emma said. "You need to get up" Karen said. "I will pick out you clothes and you can go get in the shower" Karen continued. "Please don't make me go" Emma pleaded. "Emma, you have to go to school, now get up" Karen said. "Fine" Emma said defeated and got up and got in the shower while Karen laid out an outfit for her to wear.

Karen walked downstairs to find Jimi cooking away in the kitchen. "Whatcha making" Karen asked Jimi. "Pancakes for Emma" he replied. "She was very difficult to get out of bed" Karen said. "Wonderful" Jimi said sarcastically.

Emma got out of the shower and brushed her hair and teeth then went to her room to find her outfit laid out for her. She got dressed and went downstairs for breakfast. She climbed on a stool at the counter "Morning kiddo" Jimi said. "Morning dad" Emma replied and Jimi put some pancakes on a plate and poured some syrup on them and put them on the counter where Emma was sitting. She finished up her breakfast and Karen was taking Emma to school. "Let's go sweetie" Karen said and Emma put on her shoes and jacket, then grabbed her backpack.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

Karen pulled up to the school "Have a good day sweetie" Karen said. "I'll try" Emma said and gave a small smile. "I love you sweetie" Karen said as Emma climbed out of the car. "I love you too, mama" Emma said and closed the door.

Emma walked in the school and one of the boys was waiting at Emma's locker. She paused then slowly walked up to it "Um... Excuse me... You're standing in front of my locker" Emma said quietly. "Oh... well excuse me" He said rudely then gave her a push. Cassie saw the whole thing go down. "Do you really have nothing better to do than hang out in the 6th grade hallway?! Get lost!" Cassie said. "Watch your mouth" he said and walked away. "Thanks" Emma said. "What are friends for" Cassie responded. "So Johnson is making everyone in choir perform in the talent show" Cassie said. "Are you serious?!" Emma said worriedly. "What are you so worried about?" Cassie asked. "I've never performed in front of people by myself before." Emma said. "Well you are the best singer in the choir and everyone knows it except for you" Cassie said. "Thanks" Emma said and the bell rang. "Well I guess I will see you in choir" Cassie said. "Yeah" Emma replied and they parted ways.

Fourth period came along and it was time for choir. Emma and Cassie always sat next to each other. "So the spring talent show is coming up in March. I have never had a group of students who are as talented as you guys are so I want all of you to do a solo for the show." Mr. Johnson said. I want to spend today's class picking out songs so you can all start practicing. Once you have your song come up and tell me and I will order sheet music for you" He continued. "So what song are you going to do" Cassie asked Emma. "I have no idea. I don't even want to be in the stupid talent show" Emma replied. "You will be great!" Cassie said. Emma spent a little bit thinking about the song she wanted to do and finally picked one. She went up to Mr. Johnson "Can I do "Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride?" She asked him. "That is a bold one Emma. You will nail it" he smiled and told her and Emma smiled back. Emma was actually starting to look forward to the talent show.

..................................................................................................................................................................................

Karen arrived back home and saw Jimi watching TV. She went and sat down next to him and he put his arm around her. "Are you still on board with starting homeschool at the end of the semester if things are bad with her?" Karen asked. "I am if you are" Jimi replied. "She has just been really difficult to get out of bed. This morning she begged me not to make her go to school. I know all kids don't like going to school, but I don't ever remember it being that bad and the look she gave me when she got out of the car too... I just.... I don't know" Karen said and Jimi gave her a kiss on her temple. "Why don't we talk to her when she gets home from school and find out what exactly is going on at school. Then we can make a decision about homeschool." Jimi said. "Sounds good to me" Karen said.