Deny, Deny, Deny

Chapter Thirteen: Deny, Deny, Deny

"I want everyone focused today." Bailey told all of us as we started our rounds. "With Cristina out, we're short an intern, and I have a feelin' it's gonna be one of those days. And, Karev, see the chief by the end of the day."

"What for?" Alex asked.

"Do I look psychic to you? He's the chief. He asked, you go." Bailey said.

"What did he do now?" Meredith glanced at George as the two walked in front of Izzie and I as we all followed Bailey and Alex down the stairs.

"Maybe he gave the chief syphilis." George joked as Bailey led us into a patient's room.

"They all look at me." The woman in the bed was telling the nurses and doctors that were gathered around her room as we walked in. "They're yelling, 'You're a doctor. Help him.' This is one time a PhD does no good."

"I'm sorry. Did I miss the bell for social hour?" Bailey asked over everyone's laughter. 

"Tales of missionary life." The woman in bed informed us as everyone else began to hurry past us, out of the room, to continue their days.

"You're a missionary?" Izzie asked her.

"No, my parents." The woman shook her head. "We traveled a lot. They still do."

"Oh,  wow. This stuff is great." Izzie complimented as she looked at the stuff on the woman's tray. She stopped though, seeing the look that Bailey was giving her. "Um, this is Dr. Burke's patient- Kalpana Vera."

"Kalpana." The woman corrected the pronunciation of her name. "Named by villagers in Nepal."

"Uh, she presents with multiple syncopal episodes and ventricular arrhythmia." Izzie continued to present the case. 

"So you've been passing out?" Bailey simplified it.

"Yeah, and having palpitations." Kalpana nodded.

"Past medical history of rheumatic heart disease with mitral valve stenosis." Izzie added.

"They had to ship me from Zambia to the states for three months of treatment when I was eight." Kalpana informed all of us. "Rheumatic fever almost killed me."

"Dr. Stevens, what are the primary causes of ventricular arrhythmias?" Bailey asked.

"Valvular disease, mitral valve prolapse, stimulants, drugs and metabolic abnormalities." Cristina answered before Izzie could, causing all of us to turn around to find her standing in the doorway, dressed in her hospital gown and gripping her IV in one hand. "What?"

"Out." Bailey ordered her.

"I'm fine." Cristina insisted.

"Out." Bailey repeated. "You better be in your room by the time we round on you."

"And when will that be?" Cristina asked.

"In fifteen seconds." Bailey warned before she began to countdown, causing Cristina to turn around and begin to head back to her room.

"Nice panties, Yang." Alex commented as we all saw Cristina's pink underwear through the gap in the back of her hospital gown. At his words Cristina reached back and held the back of her gown closed, sending Alex a glare.

"In your dreams, Evil Spawn." Cristina hissed before continuing to her room. We all followed after her, finding her mother in her room when we walked in.