Thanks for the Memories

Chapter Fifteen: Thanks for the Memories 

"Hey." Izzie stopped Meredith as she headed for the front door just as I came down the stairs. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Answering the doorbell." Meredith lied just as the bell rang.

"You're going to the hospital?" Izzie frowned, seeing the bag on Meredith's shoulder as I leaned against the railing, enjoying my show.

"Yes, but-" Meredith began.

"Meredith, everyone is supposed to be in the kitchen by nine a.m. to help me make dinner. It's Thanksgiving." Izzie reminded her. 

"That's the only reason I'm awake this early on my day off." I muttered. 

"I'm really not in the mood." Meredith shook her head. 

"But it's like a family-" Izzie was cut off by the doorbell ringing again.

"Doorbell." Meredith said as she walked over to the door, opening it to reveal the three men standing outside.

"This where Georgie lives?" The oldest man asked Meredith. 

"Georgie?" Meredith questioned.

"O'Malley. Where is he, upstairs?" The man nodded. 

"Oh. George, yeah." Meredith nodded as the three men made their way inside.

"O'Malley!" All three of them yelled as they headed towards the stairs. "O'Malley!"

"Should I call the police?" Izzie asked as I hurried off the stairs and out of their way. As Izzie turned to watch the men I saw Meredith sneaking out, closing the door just as Izzie turned to talk to her again. "Meredith, I'm serious! You need to be back here for dinner at six. I mean it!"

"What's the likelihood that you think Joel is still asleep?" I asked Izzie as we heard more yelling upstairs.

"I wouldn't hold my breath." Izzie chuckled before she headed back towards the kitchen. I only sighed, shaking my head as I headed back up the stairs. Once I reached the top I saw the men standing around in the hallway outside George's room, likely having gotten kicked out so he could get dressed. 

"Good morning." I smiled at the men as I pushed my way through them to my room. I opened the door to find Joel pulling a shirt on over his head, his hair messed up. "Good morning, did the bird finally leave its nest?"

"There was yelling." He frowned at me once he had his shirt on.

"I know." I nodded as I knelt down in front of him. "It was just some of George's friends being loud. Now, how about we go and get you some breakfast before Izzie turns the kitchen upside down?"

"Okay." He grinned widely before hurrying out of the room. I only chuckled as I followed behind him, watching as he ran past the three men.

"Sorry." I apologized as I made my way past them, trying to follow Joel down the stairs. As I went I could hear George joining the other men behind me before they all started following me downstairs.

"Hurry up, Georgie!" The older man lectured George as I reached the bottom of the stairs, looking back at the men with a raised brow, seeing George pulling on a coat. "There's a turkey out there with your name on it, huh?"

"Whoa. Hey." Izzie ran over to the door as George and the men began to leave. "Where are you going? Hey! Where are you going?"

"Every year, my father, my brothers, and I hunt, shoot, and kill a helpless slow-moving turkey." George informed Izzie and I as Joel stood beside me. "Isn't that great?"