Before and After

Chapter Fifty: Before and After

"Does anyone know the medical term for worms in the brain?" Webber asked all of the interns as I came around the corner, stopping by Meredith, Alex, George, and Cristina. I watched as all the interns looked around at each other, none of them knowing the term. "Dr. Stevens requested you today for a special project."

"Okay, take an envelope, and then pass the rest back, but do not open them." Izzie instructed all of them as she passed out a stack of envelopes. "You're gonna need them for the first game we're gonna play."

"That's what we're doing today, playing games?" Bumpus scoffed.

"Watch it, Bumpus." I warned him.

"Cheer up." Izzie smiled at all of them, not paying attention to their lack of enthusiasm. "We are gonna have so much fun. I said don't open the envelope! Don't you know how to play a simple game?"

"I did when I was eight." One of the other interns rolled her eyes.

"Let's just go." Izzie sighed, leading the group away while Webber joined the rest of us.

"Dr. Bailey's with Addison today, so I'm gonna hand out your morning assignments." He told us, bringing a frown to my lips at the mention of my red haired friend. Mark had told me about her being back in town, her brother being in critical condition.

"Addison's in the hospital?" Meredith asked, not having known.

"Her brother was admitted last night with parasites in his brain." Webber nodded.

"Addison's brother has neurocycticercosis?" My eyes widened, not having know that was the cause of his condition.

"Yes, and Addison's requested you to be on her brother's service." He nodded.

*~*~*~*~*~*

"Addison," I smiled at the sight of my friend. At the sound of her name she turned around, a small smile of her own making its way onto her face as I pulled her into a hug. "We've all missed you, you need to visit more often. Preferably, not for situations like this."

"I know." She sighed as we broke apart. She glanced back at her brother's bedroom where I knew Meredith was at work. I could hear someone singing in the room, accompanied by laughter. "Now, talk to me, I need to think about something other than the parasites in my brother's head right now. How have you been?"

"I'm good." I told her. "I've just been working a lot, as you probably guessed. Then spending all the free time I possibly can with Joel."

"What about..." she trailed off, though I knew what she was referring to. She wanted to know how things had turned out with Lucas and I after Mark had kissed me, if I had tried to fix things with him.

"Lucas and I are over, for good." I informed her.

"Are you okay?" She asked, her brows furrowing. "Because, I can always go and kick his ass for you, if you want."

"There's no need, I'm fine." I chuckled. "I'll admit, it wasn't the cleanest of breakups, but it's what needed to happen. I mean, I love Lucas, I still do, but I realized that I wasn't in love with him anymore. It wouldn't have been fair to anyone if I had tried to fix things and get back together. This is the best, for both of us."

"Greatest love song of all time." We both looked back towards her brother's room, finding Mark making his way inside. We both smiled, following the taller man inside.

"Hey!" I woman sitting at the foot of Addison's brother's hospital bed grinned widely at Mark.

"Did you guys get to the part where Derek rhymes 'gross anatomy class' with 'Addison's fine ass'?" Mark asked. "'Cause I wrote that line."