Owner of a Lonely Heart

Chapter Seventeen: Owner of a Lonely Heart

"I have the best quint." George claimed as we all watched over the quints in the NICU after their surgeries. "Lucy, she just smiled at me."

"She's nine hours old, George." Izzie reminded him.

"I'm sayin' there are five babies here, and clearly, mine is the advanced one." George shook his head.

"Charlotte's smart." Meredith told all of us. "She's got wrinkles on her forehead, very serious."

"Okay, A, this is not a competition, and B, my quint kicks your quints' asses." Izzie sighed. "Emily's strong. She won't let go of my finger."

"Hey, Julie has her organs on the outside of her body, and she's still alive, thank you." Cristina pointed out.

"Kate's the best one." Alex said, causing me to nod in agreement, as we'd been assigned to the same quint. "Izzie."

"Leave." Izzie told him without looking away from Emily.

"Can we please just talk?" Alex asked her.

"You're too busy screwing nurses to talk." Izzie reminded him. "Just get out."

"Can you make sure that Kate's vitals remain stable?" Alex asked me.

"Yeah." I nodded as he left.

"He is unbelievable." Izzie muttered. "I am so glad I never slept with him. Which is his loss, because I'm really good in bed, mind-blowing, mind-glowingly good in bed."

"Are you trying to seduce us?" Cristina rolled her eyes.

"And then he sleeps with Olivia instead of me." Izzie shook her head. "Olivia."

"Hey, I slept with Olivia." George reminded her.

"Yeah? Well, then you both have bad taste." Izzie told him.

"You know, you can't say that you weren't warned." George frowned at her. "Alex has always been Alex."

"You dodged a bullet, Izz." Meredith told her. "You're better off without him."

"Why are you even surprised?" Cristina asked. "You sleep with a snake, you get bit."

"Thanks, guys, for the support." Izzie scoffed.

"Who's on call tonight?" Bailey asked as she came into the room.

"I am." Izzie told her.

"Me too." I said.

"All right, the rest of you go home, sleep." Bailey told the others. "All five quints are still alive. It's a good day."

"Iz," I looked over at the blonde after the others left. At the sound of her name she looked over at me, a tired look on her face. "I'm sorry, about Alex. I know that you really liked him."

"Thanks." She gave me a small smile.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Ugh, does anybody have any decent food?" Cristina groaned as she stood at her locker the next morning, eating a bag of chips from the vending machine.

"You really should eat breakfast." George told her.

"God, you sound like Burke." Cristina muttered. "You know, sometimes I think we'd be better off with dogs."