In the Midnight Hour

Chapter Forty-Eight: In the Midnight Hour

"What are you all doing here?" Bailey asked when she came into the OR to find Alex, Meredith, Cristina, George, and I all standing there.

"He's mine." Cristina told her. "I met the ambulance."

"And she's sharing him with me." Meredith quickly added.

"He's mine. I'm on call." George pointed out.

"Good morning, Dr. Bailey. You look nice today." Alex complimented her.

"Ass kisser." I muttered under my breath, only earning an elbow in the side from him.

"I got here first." Cristina reminded her. "And the chief said I'm the one to watch."

"Oh, I get it." Bailey smirked. "It's solo surgery time, and you all have heard, the past two years, the chief has assigned an appendectomy, so you little mini surgeons dragged your butts out of bed to pick up some final tips from the master. Yeah, it's kinda cute. I can use two of you."

"But I'm on call." George repeated himself.

"So am I." I pointed out.

"I just filled Meredith in on the case." Cristina said.

"Jason Kron, forty-seven, tenderness over McBurney's point." Meredith recalled.

"Karev, what do you know about Mr. Kron?" Bailey asked.

"I know he's a lucky man to have you as a surgeon." Alex continued his ass kissing angle.

"Arthur Soltanoff, forty-five, fell from a second story window." We all looked towards the doors to see a paramedic helping Hunt bring in a new trauma. "Stable vitals, multiple fractures and lacerations with evidence of head trauma."

"Trauma one." Hunt directed them. "Dr. Bailey, I'm gonna need one of your residents."

"Watley." Bailey nodded to me. I didn't hesitate to hurry towards the trauma room with Hunt, the appendectomy long forgotten.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Left tib/fib. The rest of his trauma series is clear." Hunt said as he, Derek, and I all looked over the patient. At the sound of the door opening I glanced up, finding Mark and Callie joining us.

"He needs a head CT." Derek shook his head.

"He's got free fluid in there." I pointed out.

"Oh, God. No, Ivy." The man sat up without any warning, panicked. "Get out of the way! The mountain lion's right there."

"You're in a hospital." Hunt tried to tell him as he, Mark, and Derek tried to get him to lay back down. I glanced over at Callie, helping her move the man's daughter back.

"Ivy! Where's my daughter?" The man yelled. "He's gonna kill my daughter!"

"He's still asleep." Derek realized.

"Calm down. Mr. Soltanoff, calm down." Hunt kept trying to get through to him.

"Could we get some help here, please?" I yelled, moving forward to try and help the guys while Callie stayed with Ivy.

"Get Ivy!" Mr. Soltanoff kept yelling. He struggled against everyone's hold on him, trying to break free. Without any warning, I saw his right arm break free from Mark's grasp, swinging backwards, towards me. The next thing I knew I felt a sharp pain in my face and was falling to the floor, hitting my head on it while I tasted metal, blood, in my mouth. My head seemed to almost pulse as I started to push myself up, glancing over to see the guys trying to restrain Mr. Soltanoff once more.