Lay Your Hands on Me

Chapter Forty-Three: Lay Your Hands on Me

"George, have you seen Derek?" I asked my friend when I found him at the hospital. "I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be on his service today, but I haven't seen him anywhere."

"Uh, I'm pretty sure he's with Meredith." He guessed as we walked down the hall together.

"Wait, Meredith and Derek are back together?" I frowned. "When did this happen?"

"Uh, I'm not sure, yesterday, I guess." He shrugged as we turned to corner to find Lexie bent over a supply cart, searching for something. "Hey, what are you looking for?"

"Epinephrine. I need epinephrine." She told us without looking up from the cart.

"Why?" I asked. She looked up at us, causing George and I both to jump back slightly in shock. Her face was covered with a rash, an allergic reaction.

"Oh, what happened to you?" George asked.

"I'm an adult child of an alcoholic is what happened to me." She shook her head as I began to look through the cart in search of the medicine while George pulled on a pair of gloves. "I have boundary issues. So when Meredith made me eggs this morning, I couldn't not eat them."

"Little tip, never eat anything Meredith cooks." I advised her as I handed the shot of epinephrine to George.

"I had to pretend I wasn't allergic to eggs." Lexie continued to tell us as she scratched at her neck. "And now I have a rash covering my entire body."

"Give me your arm." George told her.

"I'm codependent, my throat is closing up-" Lexie said as George injected the epinephrine into her arm. "Ow- And now my arm hurts. Thanks."

"You're welcome." George nodded.

"And thank you for letting me crash on your couch last night." Lexie added.

"Wait, what happened last night?" I looked between the two.

"You didn't tell your mom that we broke up?" Callie walked up behind George, her hands filled with knitted baby clothing.

"What?" George asked as he turned around to face his ex wife.

"Your mom is making us baby clothes because she thinks we're still trying to get pregnant because she thinks we're still married because she thinks you're still the kind of person who would never cheat of his wife- Hand-stitched unisex baby clothes." Callie shoved the clothing into his arms. "They're yellow and green and go up to toddler sizes. And she's waiting for you in the lobby."

"George," I shook my head at his friend as he glanced back at Lexie and I, the former who was putting a bandaid over her arm, where she'd been injected with the epinephrine. "Really? You didn't tell your mom that you got a divorce?"

"I was getting to it." He insisted before changing the subject. "Shouldn't you be finding Shepherd?"

"So she doesn't know about Izzie?" I asked. "Does she know you're repeating your intern year?"

"I'm leaving now." He shook his head as he started to walk away.

"Give her a hug for me!" I called after him. Once he was out of earshot I turned back to Lexie, giving a small shake of my head. "Dead man walking."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"I was paged?" I asked as I walked into trauma room one to find Callie, Derek, Webber, and Bailey all surrounding the bed as a baby cried. I could feel my eyes widen as I looked down at the bed, recognizing Bailey's son, Tuck.