Let the Angels Commit

Chapter Thirty-One: Let the Angels Commit 

"Burke's back, and suddenly Cristina's running his board?" George frowned as he, Alex, Meredith, and I watched Cristina instruct the woman that was filling in Burke's surgery for this afternoon, just as she had been doing ever since he came back. "Who does she think she is, Bailey?"

"She's helping him." Meredith tried to defend her.

"Bull." Alex shook his head. "She's taking advantage. She gets out of rounds, she scrubs in on every surgery Burke does, she's ordering around third-year residents."

"I think this is what she'll be like as a resident." I hummed to myself. "Lord have mercy on her interns."

"You guys are overreacting." Meredith insisted but went quiet as we watched Cristina push the other woman out of the way, writing on the OR board herself.

"She is writing on the OR board." George pointed out. 

"Maybe I should sleep with Burke." Alex suggested. 

"Don't think he swings that way." I patted him on the shoulder.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"You know, the reason for a kitchen and a kitchen table is so we can cook and eat breakfast together." Lucas pointed out the next morning as I hurried around the apartment, trying to finish getting ready so I could leave for work. I glanced up from my shoes to see him leaning against the kitchen counter as he watched me, an amused smile filling his lips. 

"We have breakfast together." I reminded him.

"Yes, once a week." He nodded. 

"I'm an intern, you know that." I sighed. "We get run like we have no lives, even when we do have one that we want to live."

"Something's different." He said, his brows furrowing together slightly. "What is it?"

"Izzie starts back today." I couldn't help but grin at the fact. "Her first day back since Denny, it's exciting."

"You never did tell me what happened that night." He said. 

"In all fairness, no one really knows what all happened that night." I finished tying my shows and got up to my feet, grabbing my bag off the couch. I walked over to him, letting his arms slip around my waist for a moment, our faces only a couple inches apart. "And it's probably best that you don't know it all, what, with you being a cop."

"You're never going to let that go, are you?" He chuckled.

"Hey, I like the gun." I smirked.

"Yeah, I'm sure you do." He leaned in and kissed me softly for a moment before I pulled away, needing to leave. "See you tonight."

"Tonight." I nodded before hurrying out the door.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Did you hear that Mer is Izzie's boss?" Alex asked me as he joined me at the nurse's station. 

"Wait, what?" I raised a brow at him, not believing him. 

"Yeah, Bailey assigned Izzie to shadow Meredith." He told me. "Something about her not being able to be trusted alone. Till then she's gonna be assigned to a different doctor every day."