Walk on Water

Chapter Thirty-Four: Walk on Water

"Are you on call tonight?" Lucas asked me as we both sat at the table, having some breakfast before I had to leave for work and he got Joel up and ready for Ashley.

"No." I shook my head. "Why?"

"I was thinking that we could have Ashley watch Joel tonight while you and I go out to dinner, have a date night." He suggested, a smile filling his lips at his own idea. I couldn't help but smile as well. It had been a while since we had last been able to go out together, just the two of us, since before we had moved in together. "How does that sound?"

"It sounds perfect." I nodded. "Pick me up from the hospital after work?"

"It's a date." He leaned over and gave me a quick peck on the lips.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Am I the only one who thinks this triage test is a waste of time?" Alex asked as we all got ready in the locker room that morning. Today, rather than be taking care of patients, we would be training in triage, making sure that we knew everything that we'd need to know in case of an emergency, how to decide which patients to help first. "There's a platysmaplsty on the board. I had Sloan all prepped to let me scrub in."

"George, hey." Izzie smiled as she walked over to our friend, things having been awkward between the two ever since George had came back from vacation, married to Callie. "How's it going?"

"Good." George nodded.

"You like living in a hotel?" Izzie asked, fishing for details.

"Yeah, it's good." George smiled.

"'Cause your room's still there..." Izzie told him. "Next to mine."

"Oh, Izzie." George sighed, seeing where this was going now.

"I'm just saying, if you don't like...the hotel, you can always just move right back in." Izzie assured him.

"You know, you weren't like this when Bethany moved in with Lucas." George pointed out.

"Hey, don't drag me into this." I shook my head.

"You think I'm this boy that you need to save." He ignored me, focused on Izzie. "I get that, buy- and it-it would be sweet if-if it weren't so condescending."

"Seriously, is it too much to ask to be performing actually surgeries?" Alex asked, still complaining as George left. "We are actual surgeons."

"Not to them, Alex." I patted his arm as he and I headed out of the locker room as well, heading towards the ER, where the triage test was being held.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"A lot of arm swelling, but good distal pulses, so we can rule out compartment syndrome. I suspect a radius fracture, so I'd splint and get an oath follow-up." Izzie told Bailey as we all stood around around the ER, watching as Izzie inspected her fake patient, Sydney.

"Anything else?" Bailey asked.

"No." Izzie shook her head.

"Okay. Then I guess this means-" Bailey began.

"Time." Callie cut her off, using a timer.

"And I'm dead." Sydney declared as she sat up, pretending to seize before she fell back down on the bed.

"You sent her home. The bone punctured through her skin." Bailey told Izzie.

"Yeah, but she had multiple wounds and abrasions-" Izzie said.