State of Love and Trust

Chapter Sixty: State of Love and Trust

"Joel, what do you want for breakfast, sweetie?" I asked him as I hurried around Meredith and Derek's kitchen, them having agreed to let me move back in while I worked on finding Joel and I a new place, unable to stay at Mark's.

"Toast." He yawned, resting his head on the kitchen table. I nodded, noticing Meredith making her way into the kitchen.

"Hey, Mer, thanks again for letting us stay here." I thanked my friend, only then noticing the upset look on her face as Alex and Lexie followed her into the kitchen. "Hey, Joel, why don't you go watch some TV? I'll bring your toast to you when it's done."

"Okay," he nodded before hurrying out of the kitchen and towards the living room, eager to watch some TV before school.

"What happened?" I asked as soon as he was gone.

"Izzie leaves, you're upset, and you two decide that the best way to deal is to get drunk and mash your genitals together?" Meredith looked between Alex and Lexie, clearly not happy with either of them.

"What?" My eyes widened at the news.

"Look, no freakin' way you get to judge us or give relationship advice." Alex shook his head. "Besides, you were a total dirty mistress, like, two weeks ago."

"Are we calling me a dirty mistress?" Lexie asked as I put the bread in the toaster for Joel.

"That was two years ago, his wife didn't have cancer." Meredith argued.

"Because I've only been with, like, six guys in my whole life." Lexie pointed out. "Okay, Alex and I- we've done it before. That was recycling. It was, like, good for the environment."

"Izzie's gone, I was horny, she was there." Alex spoke bluntly.

"Oh, crap." Lexie rested her head in her hands. "I am a dirty mistress. Oh, God! You're gonna tell Derek!"

"No, I am not going to tell Derek, and neither are you, and you're not gonna say anything." Meredith warned all of us. "We are keeping our mouths shut. Izzie is coming home. No one needs to know."

"Hi." We all spun around to look at the kitchen doorway, finding Izzie standing there with her suitcase beside her. I could feel my eyes widen at the sight of my blonde friend, her hair having grown longer since I last saw her. "Know what?"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"I just, I can't believe that she's really here." I shook my head as I sat in the locker room with Lexie, still in shock about Izzie's arrival back in town. After she'd left a few months ago, having only left a letter behind for Alex, I didn't think she'd ever come back here. "Do you think she'll end up staying?"

"Alex wouldn't tell her about this morning... would he?" Lexie asked, clearly worried about our friend learning that she'd slept with her husband.

"What happened this morning?" Percy asked as he walked over from his cubby on the other side of the room, a smirk filling his lips.

"None of your business." I rolled my eyes. "Don't you have bedpans to go and clean or something?"

"You wound me." He chuckled before heading out of the locker room.

"I don't get it." Lexie frowned at she leaned against her cubby, crossing her arms over her chest.

"What?" I asked.

"How you've managed to become civil with Reed and friends with Percy, yet you still seem to hate Avery." She spoke in a soft voice, glancing across the locker room to where Avery and Reed were talking together by the former's cubby. "I just don't get it. I mean, out of all of them he seems the most decent. Why not be friends with him? He didn't steal George's cubby."