Piece of My Heart

Chapter Forty-Four: Piece of My Heart

"My first day. My clinical trial. My baby, all grown up." Meredith grinned at Izzie and I as we all stood around the nurse's station together. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the mention of the medical trial that she and Derek were working on. Though Derek was now dating one of the scrub nurses, Rose, and had been for a couple months now, they were working together on a trial, trying to be better at just being friends.

"You know, nobody cares about your clinical trial or your sick, sick, terminal patients, who'd probably rather be left for dead." Izzie told her as Cristina joined us.

"You're just jealous." Meredith accused her.

"Well, yeah." Izzie rolled her eyes.

"Anyone can come up with a clinical trail." Cristina said. "I could come up with a clinical trial."

"Jealous." Meredith sang.

"Not that it would matter, 'cause Hahn wouldn't sign off on it." Cristina frowned, annoyed with the head of cardio. "You know she won't even talk to me?"

"She always enjoyed talking to me." Izzie commented.

"Really, about what?" Cristina asked, desperate for information to get on the attending's good side.

"Her hopes, her dreams, then we would braid each other's hair." Izzie teased her.

"Well, at least I'm not living in the clinic." Cristina countered.

"Hey, I like the clinic." Izzie defended herself. "The clinic is my happy place."

"Will you use your sparkle pager to get me in on Hahn's surgery today?" Cristina asked Meredith, referring to the pager Meredith had won, earning her to the right to steal any case she wanted.

"Oh, Cristina, I can't even think about the sparkle pager because my clinical trial starts today." Meredith beamed while Cristina walked behind her, slipping it out of her pocket.

"Sparkle pager stealer!" Izzie yelled, noticed Cristina's actions.

"Thank you." Cristina frowned as Meredith took it back from her.

"Okay, all of you need to just take a moment and dig down deep, and you'll discover when you do you're truly happy for me that I have found my path to medical history." Meredith told all of us, making us all chuckle at her words out of annoyance.

"It looks like Watley already went out and had a little too much fun and happiness." Cristina glanced over at me. "She hasn't stopped smiling since I got over here."

"What is up with you?" Meredith raised a brow at me.

"Easy," I shrugged, my smile growing wider, if possible. "Addison's back."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Hey, have you seen her yet?" I asked Alex as I met him at the elevator, both of us having been assigned to Addison's case.

"Not yet." He shook his head as the elevator dinged before the doors slid open. We both looked up to see Addison herself walking out, stopping when she saw us. "Dr. Montgomery."

"Dr. Karev. Dr. Watley." Addison smiled at both of us. "Hey."

"We're hugging?" Alex glanced at me as Addison hugged him before pulling me into a hug as well, surprising both of us.

"Yep. I hug now." Addison nodded. "It's what I do, so... So you're my guys, huh?"

"I'm a girl." I corrected her, just making her roll her eyes at me.