Staring at the Sun

Chapter Thirty-Two: Staring at the Sun

"Today is the day, people." Meredith declared as she joined the rest of us in the locker room. I glanced up from George to see her walk right over to her locker, a smile on her face. "Today is the day when dark and twisty Meredith disappears forever and bright and shiny Meredith takes her place. You're probably not gonna want to be friends with me anymore because the sheer intensity of my happiness is gonna make your teeth hurt. But that's okay because life is good. Life is good."

"Meredith." I spoke up, causing her to turn around, noticing all of us around George.

"What's going on?" She asked.

"George's dad got admitted last night." Izzie informed her.

"Oh, my God. Is he okay?" Her eyes widened at the news, the smile slipping off her face.

"Oh, no, he's fine." George assured her.

"He, uh, passed out, hit the floor and fractured his clavicle." Izzie told Meredith.

"Yeah, but his clavicle's fine. Callie said it's gonna be fine." George said.

"Are those his am labs?" Meredith looked at the papers in his hands.

"Yeah, complaining of severe abdominal pain." Alex nodded.

"He doesn't have peritoneal signs." Cristina pointed out. "That's good."

"Has anybody seen-" Bailey started as she came into the locker room, stopping when she saw us looking over George's dad's labs.

"I was just looking at it." George told her.

"Don't you think me reading it is more important than you reading it?" Bailey asked as she took the labs from him.

"Sure. Fine." George nodded. "He's gonna be fine."

"You're on scut today. You'll be distracted." Bailey told him.

"No, I won't." George started to argue.

"Family members of not treat family members. Scut." Bailey ordered.

"I'm scrubbing in on a surgery with Dr. Burke this morning." Cristina told her.

"Of course you are." Bailey muttered as George and Cristina both slipped out of the locker room. "Karev and Watley, Sloan. Grey, pit. Stevens, shadow Karev. And let me remind you again of the rules of your probation."

"I think she knows the rules, Dr. Bailey." Alex spoke up.

"No touching patients, no talking to patients, no rolling your eyes at the patients or your superiors." Bailey went through the rules once more as Izzie rolled her eyes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Ah, excellent. My invaluable intern." Sloan grinned at Alex as he, Izzie, and I all headed towards him. "Is it "bring a hot blonde and brunette to work" day? No one told me."

"Sexual harassment." Izzie faked a cough while I only glared at the man standing before us, not pleased in the slightest to be on his service today.

"Dr. Watley was assigned to your service today, too." Alex told him. "Dr. Stevens is shadowing me today, so..."

"Which one of these cases do you need us on?" Izzie eyed the charts in front of him.

"It's a really tragic one. I found out just this morning that I have over two weeks worth of dry cleaning that needs to be picked up, stat." Sloan told us as he held out a slip to Alex.