It's the End of the World

Chapter Twenty-One: It's the End of the World

"I'm just not going." Meredith said as she gripped onto her pillow, refusing to get up from her bed as Izzie, George, and I stood at the foot of her bed.

"You have to go to work. You're an intern." Izzie reminded her. "Saving lives is not optional."

"Yes, it it." Meredith glanced over at us. "I'm staying home."

"You're supposed to be helping." Izzie whispered to George and I as we stood on either side of her.

"Um...Mere." George walked over to the side of her bed. "Maybe, um, there'll be a horrible accident nearby the hospital. Cut a bunch of people open- sternotomies, craniotomies. That'd be fun, right?"

"I don't care about surgeries." Meredith pulled her other pillow over her head as I heard the doorbell ring downstairs.

"That's for me." I hurried out of the room.

"Who the hell could that be?" Izzie asked as she followed behind me, leaving George alone with the upset and stubborn Meredith.

"Who you should have gone to for help." I opened the door to reveal Cristina.

"Where is she?" Cristina asked without wasting a second.

"Bed." I watched as the brunette climbed the stairs before I turned to Izzie. "Get ready, Meredith should be good to go in ten."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"I haven't been in the OR in two days." Cristina muttered as we all stood against the ER walls, dressed in bright yellow trauma gowns. "I'm getting some OR time. We haven't had a decent resident this week."

"The last two weren't bad." Izzie shook her head as we all headed towards the ER doors to wait for ambulances.

"It doesn't matter which resident we get, they suck." Alex said.

"They all sucked." George sighed while I silently nodded in agreement, none of them matched up to Bailey. "I miss Dr. Bailey."

"So do you want to do charts later?" Alex asked Izzie.

"Never gonna happen." Izzie shook her head.

"Why?" Alex frowned.

"Alex, I gave you your chance. You had your chance, and you slept with someone else." Izzie reminded him. "I forgave you in the spirit of being a bigger person, of rising above. But these legs are closed t you now. The panties are staying on. So you and me- never gonna happen."

"Twenty bucks says they get back together." I bet Cristina.

"You're on." She agreed.

"So you don't want to do charts later?" Alex smirked.

"Go stand over there." Izzie shooed him away from her.

"Can we get back to the point?" Cristina rolled her eyes.

"You had a point?" George asked.

"Yeah, which surgeon are we gonna have to suck up to today?" Cristina nodded.

"That would be me." We all spun around to find Bailey standing behind us, not looking pleased with us in the slightest. "I've been gone two weeks, two weeks, and you ran off two residents? I've got people phoning me at home, screaming, telling me my interns are Rosemary's babies. Nobody wants you. Do you think I have the time for this? I am pregnant! I'm supposed to be on bed rest. I'm supposed to be growing a human being. I'm supposed to be calm. Do I look calm to you? Did I raise you fools to be pariahs?"