Life During Wartime

Chapter Forty-Seven: Life During Wartime

"So, this is what it's like to have coffee with someone and not be trying to get in their pants." I told Mark as he and I walked through the third floor lobby together.

"Who said I wasn't trying to get in your pants." He smirked at me, only earning an eye roll in return.

"And this is where you have the chance to retract that statement before you get hot coffee in the face and kick to the groin." I warned him.

"Statement retracted." He held up his free hand, as though he were displaying a white flag. I nodded in approval as we stopped at the elevator, finding Derek there as well.

"And what's going on here?" Derek asked, glancing between us with raised brows.

"Friends having coffee." Mark gestured to our cups, pointing out the obvious.

"Ah, gentlemen, Watley." Webber caught our attention before Derek had a chance to ask another question. We all turned to find him heading our way with a familiar face at his side. Though I couldn't place a name to his face, I recognized the ginger man in scrubs from a case a few weeks ago. "I want you to meet the new head of trauma at Seattle Grace. Major Owen Hunt, you remember Derek Shepherd, Mark Sloan, Bethany Watley."

"He stole my patient." Derek recalled as we all shook hands with our new coworker.

"Mine, too." Mark nodded.

"Now you'll get a chance to steal mine." Hunt told them.

"Looking forward to it." Derek nodded.

"Ah, can't wait." Mark took a sip of his coffee.

"I just talked to a friend of mine at the DOH and now that we have Owen, we are being reclassified as a level one trauma unit by the end of the month." Webber explained to us.

"That explains it." Derek sighed in understanding.

"Here's our ride." I nodded to the elevator as the doors slid open. We all nodded to Hunt and Webber before stepping into the elevator, letting the doors close. "That wasn't awkward at all."

"Remember, we can put you on scut." Derek reminded me.

"How dare Webber, our chief of surgery, hire Hunt after he stole a patient from two world class surgeons." I feigned anger as I turned to face the two older men. "And just to move up the hospital's ranking. How dare he!"

"Right, thanks for that." Derek patted my shoulder, an amused look filling his face.

"Anytime." I nodded.

"So, coffee?" Derek looked between Mark and I.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Okay, two things-" Bailey began as she walked into the resident's locker room, finding all of us at our cubbies. "You all have a skills lab this morning. It is mandatory. Don't even think about trying to get out. Second, two of you will not have to go to the mandatory skills lab because you will be assisting me in my efforts to remove an inoperable tumor from a ten-year-old girl."

"I'll do it." George offered as Izzie and Cristina raised their hands.

"No, you won't. You have a hundred delinquent charts." Bailey shook her head. "You will do those after the lab."

"Slacker." Cristina smirked.

"How can you operate on an inoperable tumor?" Alex asked.

"Karev is also out." Bailey said.