Elevator Love Letter

Chapter Fifty-One: Elevator Love Letter

"Come on, Joel." I held his hand as I led him through the hospital, heading towards the elevators. 

"Beth?" I spun around at the sound of Mark's voice. His brows were furrowed in confusion as he walked over to Joel and I, a cup of coffee in his hands. "What are you doing here? It's your day off, I thought you were taking Joel to the zoo or something?"

"We'll go to the zoo... next week." I cleared my throat, glancing down at Joel. He didn't seem to be paying Mark and I's conversation much attention as he looked around, watching all the doctors and nurses walking around, going about their work. I looked back up at Mark, lowering my voice slightly. "It's Derek's first day back at work. His first surgery is on Izzie. I need to be here. For both of them. Besides, Joel wanted to see everyone, too. Right, Joel?"

"Yeah." He nodded, likely not even knowing what we'd been talking about. 

"I need to get to a surgery, but I'll see you guys later." Mark promised, pressing a quick kiss to my cheek before he headed off. With him done, I led Joel down the hall, deciding to abandon the elevator. As we turned a corner I spotted Cristina and Meredith at the nurses station. 

"You're wearing a turtleneck under your scrubs." I noted aloud as I approached the two, noticing Cristina's attire immediately. 

"It's ugly." Meredith added. "Not as ugly as the fact that you hugged him. You hugged him."

"I get it. I hear you." Cristina sighed. "Let's move on."

"What's going on?" I asked the two as I sat Joel down in a chair behind the counter. "Why is Cristina dressed like this and who did she hug?"

"Owen." Meredith told me simply before she returned her attention to our friend. "Turtlenecks aren't okay, you're not okay, and your boyfriend's not okay."

"Is your boyfriend okay?" Alex asked as he joined us, on edge because of Izzie's surgery. Clearly I wasn't the only one nervous about Derek's first surgery back at the hospital being on Izzie. 

"What?" Meredith and Cristina both asked him, confused.

"To be cutting into brains today," I explained for them. "Is he okay to be back?"

"Yes, of course." Meredith assured Alex and I. "Derek is fine."

"Beth was there for his carnage in the OR, remember?" Alex recalled. "This isn't just any patient today. This is Izzie."

"Okay," I took a deep breath, trying to ease the tension that was forming. "I'm gonna take Joel up to daycare, then I'll meet you guys at Izzie's room, in time for the presentation."

"I thought I was getting to see Izzie?" Joel furrowed his brows in confusion as he looked around at all of us.

"You will," I promised him. "But first all the doctors have to see her."

"Don't worry, kid." Alex told him. "I'll make sure you get in there to see Izzie. If I don't, she'll have my head."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Uh, you four, okay, I understand why you're here." Bailey walked over to Meredith, Alex, Cristina, and I as we all stood outside Izzie's room, ready to join the others inside for the presentation. "I know you want to help, but I will be the resident on her case today. I will be prepping her for surgery, and if you're going into that hospital room today, you will do so as her friends. Izzie needs her people around her. She needs you to tell her everything will be fine. She needs you to hold her hand. She needs you, not more doctors. Understood?"