Yesterday

A/N: Guess who's finally in town????

Chapter Twenty-Two: Yesterday

"Is Meredith okay?" I asked George as the said woman sat on the bench in front of her locker, just staring into space. George only shrugged as the door of the locker room opened and I glanced over my shoulder to see a frustrated Cristina coming in.

"You know, he's acting like I committed a crime, like my apartment is full of stolen goods." Cristina said as she went to her locker, not seeming to be talking to anyone in particular. "He's acting like I kept my apartment to hide stolen goods so I could do illegal transplants for money."

"Are you sure he's not just acting like you lied about moving in?" Meredith asked her, looking at her as she pulled off her jacket and shoved it into her locker. 

"Okay, what's wrong with you?" Cristina asked her. 

"My mommy's a filthy whore." Meredith told her, causing my own eyes to widen at her words. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Chuck Eaton, fifty-four, has stage three-b non-small cell lung cancer with possible invasion of the pleura and a history of COPD." Meredith presented the patient's case to Burke on rounds. "He's had extensive chemo-radiotherapy with minimal regression of the tumor. He's been admitted for radical en bloc resection."

"I was a smoker." Chuck wheezed. "The, uh, oncologist...he explained that I have a twenty-five percent chance of surviving the, uh, surgery."

"Well, unfortunately, that's about right." Burke confirmed. "If you should elect not to proceed, we can make you more comfortable."

"With all due respect, uh... there's no way that you can make a man dying a slow death comfortable." Chuck shook his head. "I'll roll the dice."

"All right." Burke nodded as he led all of us out of the room, heading off to prepare for Chuck's surgery while leaving the rest of us to continued with our work.

"How would you say I look today?" George asked Izzie and I as he watched Meredith walk ahead of us. "Would you say, you know, I look nice?"

"You could use a little more lip gloss, but, yes, you're very pretty." Izzie nodded, teasing him.

"Maybe a little mascara too." I added.

"Aw, you're both mean." George wrapped an arm around each of our shoulders. 

"We're just kidding." Izzie chuckled as he let us go. "You look fine."

"Seriously, how's my breath?" George breathed in her face. 

"George." I raised a brow at him.

"Yeah." He looked at me.

"Would you just talk to her?" Izzie told him.

"Who?" George played dumb.

"Who do you think?" I scoffed as we turned the corner to find Alex, Meredith, and Cristina all surrounding Bailey as she stood in the hallway, holding her son in her arms.

"Good morning, Dr. Bailey."  Izzie used a baby voice as she spoke, hurrying over to look at the little boy in our boss' arms. "Hello, baby."

"Are the ORs up and running?" Bailey asked us. 

"Uh, yeah, they're fully functional." Cristina nodded. "Uh, except there's some smoke damage to the corridors."

"How about you?" Bailey looked at Meredith. "You fully functional?"