Boxing?

Chapter 41

"On Thursday, you're coming back to school." Mr. Matthews repeated for the 3rd time and watched as everyone was in complete and utter shock to his decision. However that didn't slow him down from his daily routine of taking his briefcase to the dining room table to grade papers.

Josh was the first one up once he saw a small tear leave his sister's cheek. "Dad, seriously 2 days?"

"I know it's sudden-"

Lucas rose from the couch after giving her a peck on the cheek, "It isn't just sudden sir. No offense it isn't my place to input my opinion into family matters but she isn't ready for that." The quarterback spun around and stared at the tear stained face of Riley who was focusing intently on breathing and Chris clutched her hand as a sign of comfort.

Cory set down his red pen and tapped his fingers on the table, "I'd prefer if my daughter got all the torture out at once. I'd rather her be hurt for 1 week then prolonging it and seeing the dread and worry and pain on her face for weeks." He mumbles and makes eye contact with his son, "I'm sure if you ask Riley she would have told you she wasn't planning on switching schools."

The brunette was on her feet by the time they had glanced at her. "D-daddy please just a f-few more days." She begged and sauntered towards him.

He embraced her into a hug after closing the gap between them. "I can't see you like this for much longer pumpkin. I didn't follow my instinct in the past, I ignored the silent pleas during your freshman year when you secluded yourself, but I can't do it this time." Her father whispered and he felt the tears beginning to collect on his white dress shirt that he wore under his sports jacket. "You can hate me and be mad at me and yell at me but I'd rather you be mad at me then hurt any longer." Josh and Lucas sauntered back into the living room while she cried into her dad's arms. "You have no idea how much I hate myself for not doing something Riley. I would do anything to take it all back, to go back to freshman year and make it all right."

"This isn't your fault." The brown eyed girl whispered, "I love you."

He squeezed her even tighter, "I love you too."

"You were right, I wasn't going to switch." His daughter pulled away with reluctance and wiped her face dry, "I'm just r-really s-scared."

"Don't worry Riley." The brunette spun around at the sound of Chris' voice, "We're formulating a plan." He stated with a cheeky grin.

"And there's a new 'anti-bully' policy that's been implemented. All the teacher's will be forced to wait outside of their classrooms during passing periods and some will be scouting the hallways before school. I know this is sudden but I know you can do this."

Without replying she sat in the chair beside her father's normal seat and buried her face in her hands. "Come with me." Cory held out his hand and led her to her bedroom. It was silent until he shut her bedroom door, "I also wanted to talk to you about something."

"Okay?" By the tone of his voice and the lingering thought that something was wrong since they secluded themselves from others she began to fidget with her hands.

"Your mother and I began to talking late last night and we wanted to see how you'd feel about going to talk to someone once a week."

She furrowed her brows in an outrage. That was the first thing that came to mind, her anger. "I'M NOT CRAZY!" The brunette snapped instantly and rose from the bed. "I was bullied-"

"RILEY! No one said you were crazy, and you aren't not even the slightest bit. You are handling everything miraculously well." Mr. Matthews states with pride. "It wouldn't be because you are crazy. You wouldn't be sent to a psychologist and we have no intention of putting you on medication unless you'd like to be for your anxiety." Riley vehemently shakes her head no but keeps her mouth shut, "You would go talk to a therapist to help sort out your emotions, and help you learn how to deal with them."